Massive load of red elm in Blaze King.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarmisle

Sep 28, 2022
Ohio
This is a load that will burn easily twelve hours, ten year old red elm.
My splits on most of my wood is split big.

mre.jpeg

Nice! I’ve actually been burning some crappy cotton wood during the day during our little cold snap and it’s been working out pretty good for my current reload schedule. We hardly have any high btu wood around here. Doug fir is the most common

12 hours? That’s it? Looks like a load that should give double that if you choose to burn slowly.

Reactions: stoveliker
I'd go out and find some smaller splits too to fill the holes.
Also, that top left big split, if you had loaded it with the current flat top put down on that rectangular split, it saves space.

Is that a 30 or 20 firebox? If this is a 30 firebox, you seem to need a LOT of BTUs if you burn this down in 12 hrs. (I then suggest to air seal places...)

Almost looks like a king?

I'm always on the lookout for the Reddus Ulmus. Not the highest BTU, somewhere between Black Cheery and White Ash, but the split wood has a beautiful pinkish hue, not as hard to split as other Elms, and hardly any sapwood. I saw in another thread that it doesn't make a lot of ash, but I don't recall offhand, as I haven't burned many pure Red Elm loads.
My neighbor said I could get this big'un. Bark almost gone and it's the biggest I've seen here, 2' DBH. Previous biggie for me was from my woods, a 19-incher. Around here, they often die off before attaining that size. I see a lot of 4-8-inchers. Not sure what gets 'em...dutch elm, bark beetle?
PXL_20221206_195824188.jpg002.JPG