Massive logs delivered, now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A guy I grew up with lost an eye this way, he wasn't keeping the mushrooms trimmed on his wedges. It only takes two minutes with an angle grinder or cutoff wheel to trim the worst of mushroomed heads, and really only a few seconds each year to keep ahead of them. No excuses!

I like to face mine off so they're slightly tapered in at the striking surface. In other words, the striking surface is 1/16" to 1/8" smaller than the max cross-section of the wedge, with the taper starting about 1/4" down from the striking surface. This slight taper seems to slow the formation of a new mushroom head.
Most of us have learned the hard lessons from experience unfortunately, some lessons we learned from others bad experiences. The big thing is to learn from the mistakes. I still have a piece of steel in me from an object I was striking with a hammer. Many think you're being an alarmist or not manly by suggesting or using safety equipment.

I think the more interesting question is, what kind of dog is that in your avatar? Unless you're exceptionally short, that's a true monster canine!

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Isn't the word "height-challenged"? (Says the 6'4" guy...)

Reactions: Ashful
Irish Wolfhound. I'm 5'4".

_MG_7461(2).jpg

Isn't the word "height-challenged"? (Says the 6'4" guy...)
One thing I've noticed about my shorter friends, is that they all know exactly how tall they are... like to the quarter of an inch.

Those over 6 feet don't worry about 1/4". ;lol

Irish Wolfhound. I'm 5'4".
That's awesome! Our little min-pin is approaching her 20th birthday, and getting very close to her end. The kids aren't going to let me go without a dog in the house, once she's gone, so I've been been casually thinking about what direction we might go next. If it weren't for so many allergy sufferers in the house, causing us to shop for specific low-allergen breeds, I'd prefer rolling the dice at the ASPCA.

Glad you guys mentioned cleaning up the wedge head. Mine was starting to mushroom and I was worried about bits flying off. Just need to get a new wheel for my angle grinder.

I used to get wood from a tree service. I'm talking HUGE chunks. I have pictures somewhere of a pile of them. Some of them were so big I could only fit 2 in my 8ft truck bed, and not because of the weight. There were mountains of noodles when I got done, and I found metal in several of the chunks.

It was a big job and required several people to safely move and break down the pieces. We had 22 full cord when we got done.

The best way for us was to simply noddle them into smaller pieces that we could put on the hydraulic splitter. I would cut a chunk in half, then cut that into thirds, and then halves or thirds again.

There is a lot of wood in a big chunk, yoi just have to break it down.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I used to get wood from a tree service. I'm talking HUGE chunks. I have pictures somewhere of a pile of them. Some of them were so big I could only fit 2 in my 8ft truck bed, and not because of the weight.
I've brought home single logs over 5000 lb. They're fun to strap into the trailer, as one log hits my payload limit, yet could still roll around causing the tail that is my trailer to wag the dog that is my truck, if not somehow strapped down.

IMG_7217.JPG

Hey, your tail lights aren't wearing shades, are they? 😎

I've brought home single logs over 5000 lb. They're fun to strap into the trailer, as one log hits my payload limit, yet could still roll around causing the tail that is my trailer to wag the dog that is my truck, if not somehow strapped down.

View attachment 310787
Nope. That's the stock bed rail caps that come on Ram pickups now, and below that the painted top corner of the metal bed. Tail lights are lower, out of view in this photo.