Material in the back of an Isle Royale (startup air seal)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
does anyone know what kind of material this is in the back of an Isle Royale the firebrick goes in front of it (marked in Blue) looks like it needs to be replaced.

thanks

Attachments

• 20110313_01.jpg
    20110313_01.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 550
  • 4292420849_f97530b75b_z.jpg
    4292420849_f97530b75b_z.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 534
Looks like it might be packed with kaowool. Is it soft white and fiberous?

That is the start-up air assembly. Looks like it is totaled. There shouldn't be a hole in the middle of it. The one part they don't give a number for in the manual as far as I can see.

BeGreen said:
Looks like it might be packed with kaowool. Is it soft white and fiberous?

yes it is its thin and seems like a very soft house insulation. it seems like it peels off in layers

Could be kaowool board. It would be best to start with a Quad dealer or Quad tech support to get a sense of what the price is for the replacement part is for the Primary Air Assembly. If the price is outrageous, it might be worth figuring out how it is built and repairing it.

Looking @ the pic above, it looks like that is just a gasket, kinda like the EBT gasket on the P.E. Summit.
If that is the case, it looks like tha pert of the gasket that actually does the sealing is still intact.
If it were mine, I'd install the bricks and try it out. :smirk:

well i took it apart cause i have all spring and summer to make this stove like new i just want to burn this winter i dont want to kick myself in the a@# for not doin it the right way and the material behind the holes of the Isle Royale acts like a gasket to stop the air from flowing in, if i dont fix it ill be burning alot more wood than if i would have fixed it . What kind of material has the metal flakes in it ??

Attachments

• 20110313_07.jpg
    20110313_07.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 424
  • 20110313_02_01.jpg
    20110313_02_01.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 420
  • 20110313_01_01.jpg
    20110313_01_01.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 429
  • 20110313_04.jpg
    20110313_04.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 441
I don't think so. This is the primary air supply. It should feed into the firebox only through the two tubes. With the breech in insulation most of the air will not enter via the tubes. Instead it will leak and feed between the bricks.

edit: I was wrong, keep reading below

Last edited:
BeGreen said:
I don't think so. This is the primary air supply. It should feed into the firebox only through the two tubes. With the breech in insulation most of the air will not enter via the tubes. Instead it will leak and feed between the bricks.

yes only air should come through the holes

I figure the gasket only has to be around the perimeter of the plate, to stop the air from coming in.
That ass'y does look pretty beat though. How old did you say the stove is?

Jimbob said:
That ass'y does look pretty beat though. How old did you say the stove is?

What looks pretty beat?? The stove is a 2003.

The picture of the material with the silver lookin flakes in it goes behind the tubes you can control how the material presses against the back of the tubes which controls the air gettin to the fire.

Also the tubes should only be opened the first 15 mins of the start of a fire then closed. and for the duration of the fire air is controlled from the front of the stove

Whew. Glad it was just the soft stuff. To my old eyes, in the pic it looked like the metal was burned through.

BeGreen said:
I don't think so. This is the primary air supply.

Naa, BG. That is the startup air supply. The primary comes from the dog house in the front of the stove. The hinged door that opens/closes for start up air has a gasket that makes a seal (if you old timers remember the old thermo adjustment on the old earth stoves, it is something like the door that was used for that).

If your going "all in" on this stove, find a good Quad dealer for your parts supply, but I don't see anything that is a show stopper, yet.

That's the problem jags they are morons the one dealer only had a price sheet from 2007 I was shocked!!!! They know nothing!!!

Chrism said:
That's the problem jags they are morons the one dealer only had a price sheet from 2007 I was shocked!!!! They know nothing!!!

Go here: http://www.quadrafire.com/~/media/Files/Quadrafire/Service Parts Lists/Isle_Royale.ashx

and find your parts. Then you can literally just tell them the part number, get a price and have them order it.

(Copy and paste the entire link.)

Sure - it looks like the one darn part you are looking for - isn't listed in the break down (that I saw).

The linked Quadrafire site does not have a part listing but the manual does. It is part 18 - Primary Air ASBM.

I mistook that to mean assembly, but now I think perhaps it means air supply boost manifold.

Attachments

• quad parts.jpg
    quad parts.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 377
BeGreen said:
The linked Quadrafire site does not have a part listing but the manual does. It is part 18 - Primary Air ASBM.

I mistook that to mean assembly, but now I think perhaps it means air supply boost manifold.

Yeah, it is a bit confusing going by their naming convention. I wonder why it doesn't show the gasket. I don't think it is anything special, but it does have to give (think cotton) to make a good seal when closed.

Yes, on the firebox side it just looks like packing for heat protection. But on the back side it needs gasket pads that look custom. Even if you could find the flat material, what would it be glued to the metal with?

How mission critical is the boost air? Could this be sealed off and the fire just started with primary air and maybe leaving the door ajar until the fire was started? If it is pretty important I'm wondering if one could make their own exterior valve similar to Precaud's Morso secondary air control?

BeGreen said:
How mission critical is the boost air?

Not a real big deal, but it sure is a nice feature.

I just can't believe that it would be hard to find a proper replacement material.

ok I HATE THE QUADRAFIRE PEOPLE!! i called those morons up and had to explain to them what was going on about the two gaskets i need . they said they had to find out what the part # was be cause its usually a part a stove owner would not replace she said it was a NON sellable item!!!! are you kidding me!! the heat shield had 6 small screws and the Primary air supply is only held in by 4 screws and a clip not that hard to replace. so the way for me to get this part is to call the local dealer give him my reference # he has to call Quadrafire Tech line and tell them the part # and they will send it to them then i go pick it up !!! ARE YOU FRIGGIN ME !! VERY ANNOYING!

BeGreen said:
Yes, on the firebox side it just looks like packing for heat protection. But on the back side it needs gasket pads that look custom. Even if you could find the flat material, what would it be glued to the metal with?

on the material with the silver flakes in it, it is held on by a hard orange kind of stuff ???? its hard its def not a silicone type stuff. does anyone know what the material is with the silver flakes in it ??

The orange stuff sounds like it might be high-temp, furnace silicone like Hylomar 310, Thurmalox 2655 or TremPro 644. It gets hard when baked at high temps. This is why there is insulation packed on the firebox side of this manifold.

http://www.hylomarusa.com/Hylomar-310-Red-High-Temp-RTV-Silicone-Sealant-300ml-cartridge

Just guessing here, the silver flakes make me think this might be a vermiculite coated gasket material. Here's an example:

http://www.vermiculitecoated.com/hi...ation-sleeve-tape-rope-fabric-firesleeve.html

Status
Not open for further replies.