Maybe it's time to consider selling smoker wood ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
Smoker wood chunks @ $15 dollars a 4 lb bag - makes me re-think my firewood processing.

Have any of you sold smoker wood ?
smoker-wood.JPG

Smoker wood chunks @ $15 dollars a 4 lb bag - makes me re-think my firewood processing.

Have any of you sold smoker wood ?View attachment 222819
II sold smoker wood a few years ago. I'd loosely fill a $50 lb dog food bag with 12 inch splits, mostly hickory and cherry and sell it for $10.

You obviously haven't seen the stacks of "split fire wood" at the convenience stores and gas stations have you? That's where the moneys at, 4-5 splits for 5-6 bucks. Couple of plastic bands and a nylon handle stapled to the wood. Good to go.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I tried getting a premium for hickory for home heating wood. People would not pay an extra $20 cord for it.

I have cherry and apple too but gave up on selling smoking wood as a 5 gallon pail will last years. I have one guy with a BBQ business who buys "racks" of smoking wood for $25. (the rack holds about 250#s)

Not around here. Too much hickory, black cherry, maple, and oak to go around.

fruit tree wood is small and knotty takes alot of work to prep it for a stove, there were apple crates at the farm stand for 150 to 200, its all branches though they cut.

i cut my own smoker wood, i like the fruit stuff, there was fruit trees here.it really take alot of work im not sure you would get as much as it would need to sell it. i take a few branches that are an inch or two and just cut it down with the power miter saw and the bark comes off pretty after its dry, then hatchet it in half. the bigger the piece the less taste it has.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
i have a pile of apple, crabapple, cherry, peach and pear tree that i like to mix in with my loads of russian olive so the neighbors don't always hate me :)

If you can't sell it, you can just send it to me...I will take it off your hands. ;)

Reactions: Lakeside
Near me are a couple barbeque restaurants, old fashioned. There's a firewood seller here who gets a good price for cherry, about $20 extra per rick. He just sells logs, nothing small.

Reactions: Lakeside