Measure 18 times, order once... Need help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille

Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
White Plains, NY
I'm hoping someone out there can help me with a few questions. Or, at this point, just make a decision for me and I'll order whatever I'm told to.

I became obsessed with the Hampton HI300, but my current hearth isn't deep enough. So, before I started tearing up my original 1935 wood and slate living room floor, I kept shopping. I soon fell in love with the Jotul Rockland, but came to find out that I don't have the mantle clearances. Okey dokey. Then I find the Vermont Castings Montpelier with its beautiful big window and LOTS of crappy reviews. And so on. And so on...

Since I don't want to alter my floor or mantle, does anyone have any suggestions? Does any company make something like a floating hearth that I could remove after the burning season? I was thinking maybe something that would fit under a freestanding wood stove might work. Maybe?

I want to use the insert as the primary heat for an 1,800+sf center chimney colonial. Here's a pic of what I'm working with and some measurements:

Opening Width: 40"
Opening Height: 31.5"
Hearth depth: 20"
Hearth width: 73"
Height to moulding: 39" (53" to mantle)
Width to moulding: 51.5"

Thanks!
Camille

Attachments

• IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 425
It's often good to go with your first impression. If necessary, the current hearth could be extended to accommodate the HI300. Maybe add a nice tile border extension?

There are approved hearth extensions available - some for as little as $85 - some are over $150.
The less expensive ones are generally made of Micore with a continuous aluminum wrap.
They weigh less than 10 lbs & you can hide em in a closet in the summer time.
The more expensive versions are relatively heavy, but they can STILL be removed after you're done burning...
AJ Hearth pads are the more expensive type...I believe HY-C makes the Micore/aluminum ones...

I'm going back and forth with my decision too. Every time I think I've got it figured out, I find a clearance that isn't acceptable or some other road block. As I've read on here several times, "Take your time and don't rush a decision that you'll have to live with for years to come". I try and keep that in mind, but at some point I'm going to start having mental problems. From listening to me go back and forth, my wife probably knows more about NFPA 211 standards than the guys that wrote it!! I'm close to just setting the stove in the middle of the living room and calling it an artistic expression. Good luck with your decision.
Russ

How short are you with that 20" Hearth depth? it would only seem like a few inches. That Hampton wood insert is a real nice one.
It would be great if you found a little pad you could just put in front during the burning months. They're available all over.

Hearth extension issues are solvable relatively easily. Clearances to all that wood trim/mantle surrounding the fireplace look to me to be more of an issue. Rick

Thanks so much for the feedback. And Russ, I feel your pain.

I'm about 8 inches short on the hearth requirements, but have plenty of clearance for the mantle for the HI300. And have the exact opposite issues for the Jotul. Arrgg! I'm really finding that I'm stuck on the HI300, though. She's a beaut.

So happy to hear there are some removable options out there and will spend the evening looking into them. It's funny that none of the 3 dealers I went to mentioned these - they did, however, all offer their own or a friend's tile and masonry business cards. Hmmmm.

And thank God for this site - my husband's going to smother me in my sleep if I keep talking about what insert to buy :)
Camille

Status
Not open for further replies.