Measurements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

daveid01

Feb 14, 2014
nor cal
Hi,
I have a house from the late 70's with a fire place with just an open hearth. I am looking at installing an insert and I'm not quite sure what I can take out or add to fit a bigger or smaller insert. The back really anrroes out but I can remove the side panels but I'm unsure if that's there for fitment or for safety/design. Any help or info would be appreciated. I understand how to measure it but just wondering if my current opening is what I'm stuck with or if I can remove panels.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190113_100217929.jpg
    IMG_20190113_100217929.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 108
This looks like a zero clearance fireplace. Only some permit an insert to be installed. Do you know the make and model of the fireplace?

I'm not sure. This is the tag but can't tell based on it's condition. I've been told by previous neighbors that these are not meant to burn high heat fires based on the setup they are. But I've been told I could put a pellet stove insert since I could replace exhaust tube liner in to make it safer.
I'll have to research zero clearance sorry I understand what you're saying. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20190111_161441378.jpg
    IMG_20190111_161441378.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 95