Mechanics- 07 Tundra starting problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Update- the "new" starter failed. my Mechanic said Napa is stepping up and giving me a complete refund for the price of the starter (instead of an exchange) covering the tow and maybe some of the labor. I am Putting in a oem Toyota one.

NAPA parts are junk compared to 5 or 10 years ago. There is nothing from NAPA I would ever install in any vehicle now. OEM is all I’ll do in my shop and at the dealership.

Sure sounds like an electrical issue. You could try another starter but I would start tracing ground wires and confirm a good pos connection.

Reactions: sloeffle
The starter was definitely bad. I told him to test and inspect all the wires. I had The same concern.

The starter was definitely bad. I told him to test and inspect all the wires. I had The same concern.
So the 2nd starter tested bad as well? A poor electrical connection can cause a starter to fry. Just the fact that you changed the ground and the noise changed led me there. I've bought many electrical parts from cheap stuff to oem. Not saying it doesn't happen but rarely are they bad out of the box or only last a week or 2.

Another vote for not using NAPA electrical items here...I put three of their alternators on one vehicle in the period of a less than a year...they finally just gave me my money back and I bought a reman at A Zone, end of the problems. That's just one example.

So the 2nd starter tested bad as well? A poor electrical connection can cause a starter to fry. Just the fact that you changed the ground and the noise changed led me there. I've bought many electrical parts from cheap stuff to oem. Not saying it doesn't happen but rarely are they bad out of the box or only last a week or 2.

my original starter went up at 160k. seems reasonable. put napa one on. it failed after 1.5 months. now it has another OEM one and is running.

yes i was concerned about some electrical gremlin. my mechanic says everything is ok in that regard. i am going to replace the starter relay just to be careful. if it sticks, the starter could stay engaged after the truck starts which would certainly kill it. its cheap insurance.

I just put camshaft phasers on a 2.7l EcoBoost. $2400 job. Ford dealership and Ford parts. Test drive and check engine light on. Tore it back down can phaser, brand new, is bad. Do the job a second time, 13hrs labor, and it’s fixed. It happens even with factory parts.

OE starters are Denso. Should be able to find one other than dealer. Buy new not rebuilt.
my 02 had 250k on it and plenty of electrical problems. I have a Titan now.

Have you done the timing belt yet? should have been done @100k , BIG money if it breaks when the truck running.

tundra has a timing chain. did replace the serpentine belt. all has been good so far w toyota starter. really sounds peppy. thanks for all the responses.

These prices definitely make you reconsider high cost tepairs when in the past you would just punt and buy a new one.

Heck a later model Silverado with 100k is like 20k used. Insane. Won't buy another Toyota that's for sure.

Once you get the starter issues sorted you'll be good to go for a long time. Sounds frustrating but as others mentioned it's likely a bad starter, and the icing on the cake is the difficult access.

I'm at 322k on my 94' Toyota landcruiser and would hop in it tomorrow and drive across the country. Don't write off Toyota's just yet...

it will rust out sooner rather than later. Even after all the previous issues w Tacoma's and early tundras, they still haven't fixed their terrible propensity to rust. Poor job seam sealing as far as I can Tell- among other things.

Toyota 4.7 HAS a timing BELT, I have changed them. 5.7 has a chain.
Frame rust issue, check with the dealer and see if you can still get any recall coverage, may be too late.

I just picked up a 94 LJ70 Land Cruiser. It came out of Italy. The 70 series model was never imported to the US but were sold elsewhere around the world inlcluding Canada and Mexico. The US Land Cruiser versions were much bigger and more luxurious. Its got a 2.4 turbo diesel and 5 speed. Not a bit of rust. Its parked for a couple of months until I can change out the timing belt and go through a fairly long checklist before I declare it road ready. Parts are surprising available but not locally mostly because the computers do not have this model in them. There is a pretty steady flow of them up and over the border from South America but lately Europe is falling out of favor with diesels so they are starting to get shipped over. The trick is they have to be 25 years or older to be exempt from NHTSA and EPA standards.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Def considering a new(er) truck. All truck prices are insane- new or used. Trade in for mine is about 7k. Not that great.
Trade in on everything is low. You'll get more in a private sale depending on condition and mileage.

I've got 331k on my original starter.

Sounds like your contacts are worn. Actually,it's just one but they're opposite each other so with one being worn,the plunger gets cocked and doesn't make contact. You need a set of contacts and plunger.

ALL auto parts stores sell pure junk these days.

Take your starter to a reputable rebuilder or get one from Toyota. FYI,the Toyota one will be reman, most likely by Denso