Melted BlazeKing 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My cap is dark, but just on the lee side of the prevailing winds (north in my case). Non cat cookstove burning hot and fast, but I still get soot stains on the cap. Probably from frequent cold starts.

The prior owner may not have closed the bypass or left loading door ajar (if wet wood was expected to burn) or both.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Based on what you see so far @BKVP, what do you think? New one or is this worth saving?

I imagine a new one would be more efficient, but I ask because that’s some serious damage inside, yet if it’s worth saving it speaks volumes about the build quality of the stove. I’ve seen what I consider heavier built stoves, but why would it be necessary if this stoves main body is fine and parts can be obtained to fix it.

Based on what you see so far @BKVP, what do you think? New one or is this worth saving?

I imagine a new one would be more efficient, but I ask because that’s some serious damage inside, yet if it’s worth saving it speaks volumes about the build quality of the stove. I’ve seen what I consider heavier built stoves, but why would it be necessary if this stoves main body is fine and parts can be obtained to fix it.
That stove isn't worth trying to save.

I would have to see much better images in order to make that determination. If OP wants to send/post, I can look it over much more thoroughly.

Reactions: Hoytman
I've had a couple of professionals tell me that it's beyond saving. Hard to find welders wanting to take on stoves. Liability being the apparent reason.

I'm hopeful the 8" pipe doesn't need to be replaced, but if it does, I will likely go with 8" pipe again. The home is 3,000 sq ft which warrants a 4' fire box, or so I've been told. I would like to heat the home with the stove, using the cold air return near the stove along with the fan from the furnace to distribute heat into the rooms. That's my HVAC desire/theory anyway, leaving the propane fuel as back up. I've been building a wood crib just out the back door so I'm getting close to moving on to the next project. The stove will likely be the next on the list, especially since wood gathering is at a stand still with our current fire situation. I really need to figure out how to safely access that stove cap. I think I mentioned it before, it's a 12/12 roof and the pipe extends about 9'-10' up from the shingles. I truly wonder if the pitch of the roof has served as a deterrent for a thorough, top to bottom, cleaning.

I'll follow up as I progress.

I have a 2001 Blaze King King that I bought used around 8 to 10 years ago. It still works great. The general consensus on this stove is that it is near impossible to beat in terms of producing a strong even heat for long periods of time. It has a giant belly that reduces ash cleanout episodes during the burning season, a huge fire box, and a great air control system. These stoves are also super easy to reload each day as there is always so much wood still in there. Reload times are super short. I highly recommend this stove.

Don't bet on the HVAC to distribute heat in your house. Perhaps an add on wood burning forced air furnace would be more appropriate if you want to heat with wood.

Reactions: MissMac
I've had a couple of professionals tell me that it's beyond saving. Hard to find welders wanting to take on stoves. Liability being the apparent reason.

I'm hopeful the 8" pipe doesn't need to be replaced, but if it does, I will likely go with 8" pipe again. The home is 3,000 sq ft which warrants a 4' fire box, or so I've been told. I would like to heat the home with the stove, using the cold air return near the stove along with the fan from the furnace to distribute heat into the rooms. That's my HVAC desire/theory anyway, leaving the propane fuel as back up. I've been building a wood crib just out the back door so I'm getting close to moving on to the next project. The stove will likely be the next on the list, especially since wood gathering is at a stand still with our current fire situation. I really need to figure out how to safely access that stove cap. I think I mentioned it before, it's a 12/12 roof and the pipe extends about 9'-10' up from the shingles. I truly wonder if the pitch of the roof has served as a deterrent for a thorough, top to bottom, cleaning.

I'll follow up as I progress.

That explains why the cap was a mess. It’s really hard to access.

They sell a product called a sooteater that allows you to clean a BK, and many other stoves, from the bottom up through the loading door. It works great and you don’t need to go on the roof. Lots of forum posts about them. They work fine on 8” pipe and I have had great success cleaning the caps from below.

You can even sweep your chimney in the middle of winter.

Last edited:
Haven't taken a tape to it, but I probably have 7 - 8 feet of pipe in the living room. Another foot in the roof and then 9-10 feet on the exterior.

I can get 24 hours from a sub 3 CF princess with fir and alder. The king model is rated for up to 40 hours. Of course in a giant house in Montana you may not get to enjoy the low setting in January. That huge fuel tank will make life easier at any setting.

Reactions: stoveliker
Up on the roof today. Decided to snap a pic from a different angle. The pipe seems to be leaning towards the house from this view. Hadn't noticed that before. Any issues with a slight tilt to the pipe?

Attachments

• PXL_20210814_210419728.jpg
    PXL_20210814_210419728.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 138
Up on the roof today. Decided to snap a pic from a different angle. The pipe seems to be leaning towards the house from this view. Hadn't noticed that before. Any issues with a slight tilt to the pipe?
That "tilt" my result in a less that secure fit to a lower section or the ceiling support box.

It can and should have a level placed on it. The reposition the braces to support the pipe in the corrected position.

Others might know if the braces can be extended or made longer to account for the proper install.

That "tilt" my result in a less that secure fit to a lower section or the ceiling support box.

It can and should have a level placed on it. The reposition the braces to support the pipe in the corrected position.

Others might know if the braces can be extended or made longer to account for the proper install.
Thanks. I do think I can loosen the nuts on the bracket as they mount to the roof which would allow me to lower the ring around the pipe, effectively pushing it further away from the roof

Reactions: EbS-P
@bholler can provide install guidance....

Where the brace connects to the chimney, move it down. That'll push the chimney away from the roof slope.

Reactions: EbS-P and SpaceBus
There's no excuse for that. It speaks of poor workmanship and would drive me nuts.

The support legs can probably be extended. If not move the band down on the pipe. I wouldn't change where it's mounted on the roof. But as others said this shows poor workmanship I would check absolutely everything else

Welp, the local BlazeKing dealer had a special. $200 off any BlazeKing during fair week so I pulled the trigger. I even went so far as to drag along a buddy who needed a stove for his place. He ended up buying a Princess. @BKVP I heard the BK commissions are juicy.

Welp, the local BlazeKing dealer had a special. $200 off any BlazeKing during fair week so I pulled the trigger. I even went so far as to drag along a buddy who needed a stove for his place. He ended up buying a Princess. @BKVP I heard the BK commissions are juicy.
Well, the dealer made some $$, the rep made some $$, you saved some $$ and your buddy saved $$ as well.

Thank you for trusting in the feedback members provided and you'll be toasty warm this winter.

Question. I've started in on the old stove. I didn't have high hopes for double walled pipe and the original owner did not disappoint. Given how little heat leaves up the pipe, how critical is double vs single wall stove pipe?

That (flue gas temp) is indeed the right train of thought. The point is that the gases are already rather cool, and it is important to not loose too much more heat to avoid condensation of creosote (see also your cap pic). I believe that you want to keep it above 250 F. SO if you have a double walled pipe, that'll help with that.

It'll also (as a consequence of the temp) help with draft, making your stove function better. Remind us what the total length is, stovetop to cap? And what of that is (now) single wall inside? Any elbows and horizontal sections?