Melted BlazeKing 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That (flue gas temp) is indeed the right train of thought. The point is that the gases are already rather cool, and it is important to not loose too much more heat to avoid condensation of creosote (see also your cap pic). I believe that you want to keep it above 250 F. SO if you have a double walled pipe, that'll help with that.

It'll also (as a consequence of the temp) help with draft, making your stove function better. Remind us what the total length is, stovetop to cap? And what of that is (now) single wall inside? Any elbows and horizontal sections?

Single wall, straight shot from stove to cap. 7'6" stove to ceiling. About 1' in the ceiling. Then about 8'-10', probably closer to 8' shingle to cap.

That is close to the minimum length required (15' - at sea level), and half of that is now single wall? I'd go double wall for sure. If it'd had been a 25' total height with 2 ft of single wall, I'd not have recommended to spend that money.

That is close to the minimum length required (15' - at sea level), and half of that is now single wall? I'd go double wall for sure. If it'd had been a 25' total height with 2 ft of single wall, I'd not have recommended to spend that money.
At this point, all 3 sections inside the home have been single wall. I can't say for certain about the outside just yet.

Outside should be class A - which is double wall. If it is not, you should replace that. I believe it is proper class A, from your earlier pic.

Outside should be class A - which is double wall. If it is not, you should replace that. I believe it is proper class A, from your earlier pic.
Ran a tape up from inside the pipe to the cap. Total distance from stove to cap is exactly 19feet. It's raining right now (thankfully) so I'll get up the roof later after the weather passes to set the pipe vertically. It's crazy how much more tilted that pipe looks like from inside the pipe.

Last edited:
19 ft is better. Now it depends on your philosophy
- Take a fair risk w/ single wall, noting that it will likely work (you'll get heat), but performance may suffer. And BK will *always* first say (and here I may get slammed by @BKVP :p ) "get in compliance with our requirements" whenever you ask for help (and, I have to say, correctly so: they tested and are confident it works within those parameters, going outside of that is at your own risk).
- Do it right the first time.

You can just try as is - but if you are disappointed in performance, remember that you are not following their requirements before you complain...
But maybe it'll work ok.

So I don't know. Personally I would go with operating how the stove (+chimney system) was designed, if you can. Though I am myself skirting those rules to - but I did not want to move my thru the wall thimble up, and I have a 27' total length to offset the negative effects of my borderline compliance. And it works like a charm.

I remember now: Did you buy a King or a Princess? What's the diameter of your flue? Kings need 8". The others 6".

19 ft is better. Now it depends on your philosophy
- Take a fair risk w/ single wall, noting that it will likely work (you'll get heat), but performance may suffer. And BK will *always* first say (and here I may get slammed by @BKVP :p ) "get in compliance with our requirements" whenever you ask for help (and, I have to say, correctly so: they tested and are confident it works within those parameters, going outside of that is at your own risk).
- Do it right the first time.

You can just try as is - but if you are disappointed in performance, remember that you are not following their requirements before you complain...
But maybe it'll work ok.

So I don't know. Personally I would go with operating how the stove (+chimney system) was designed, if you can. Though I am myself skirting those rules to - but I did not want to move my thru the wall thimble up, and I have a 27' total length to offset the negative effects of my borderline compliance. And it works like a charm.

I remember now: Did you buy a King or a Princess? What's the diameter of your flue? Kings need 8". The others 6".
I have a King so all the pipe installed is 8". I bought another King today to replace it. My buddy bought a Princess. So does BK require double wall top to bottom for any warranty type issues? I didn't see that in me research. Hope I didn't over look it, but I guess I could get some double wall for inside the home if that is required.

I have a King so all the pipe installed is 8". I bought another King today to replace it. My buddy bought a Princess. So does BK require double wall top to bottom for any warranty type issues? I didn't see that in me research. Hope I didn't over look it, but I guess I could get some double wall for inside the home if that is required.

Not for warranty, which are parts. Your warranty is fine. I believe.

Performance instead is not guaranteed, and if you have trouble there, they want to help, but would first ask you to get into the parameter space they tested for and know that it should work

Black double wall is recommended in 4-5 locations in each owners manual. Best to use it....but if you have single wall, try it.

Note that old single wall can be corroded to the point of needing replacement. It’s just mild steel not usually a lifetime pipe. Double wall is stainless steel inside and lasts a very long time.

Reactions: Hoytman
Reactions: sacountry
Ok, I've been doing a little data gathering. I have my concerns about reusing the old single wall given the amount of heat that pipe had to have had in it based on the damage the stove suffered. So, I'm leaning heavily towards a double wall pipe....this stuff must be lined with gold like the 2x4s I was buying.
My question is, here's pic of my ceiling box. Any idea which brand it is? I'm understanding that I should, some have said must, match the pipe with the same manufacturer of the box. I'm super surprised that the pipe wasnt screwed down except for at the stove and the two mid sections of pipe. Nothing at the box. Looks like a Duravent based on what I've seen online, but would like to gather your thoughts.

PXL_20210821_022519154.jpg

Ok, I've been doing a little data gathering. I have my concerns about reusing the old single wall given the amount of heat that pipe had to have had in it based on the damage the stove suffered. So, I'm leaning heavily towards a double wall pipe....this stuff must be lined with gold like the 2x4s I was buying.
My question is, here's pic of my ceiling box. Any idea which brand it is? I'm understanding that I should, some have said must, match the pipe with the same manufacturer of the box. I'm super surprised that the pipe wasnt screwed down except for at the stove and the two mid sections of pipe. Nothing at the box. Looks like a Duravent based on what I've seen online, but would like to gather your thoughts.

View attachment 281128
I'm sure as to brand, but in the double wall, get a section of adjustable length...sometimes called a slip joint. Makes cleaning much, much easier.

Reactions: moresnow
I'm sure as to brand, but in the double wall, get a section of adjustable length...sometimes called a slip joint. Makes cleaning much, much easier.
Thanks. Have that in the old Amazon cart. Up to $500 with the telescoping pipe, plus another 4' section, plus the stove adapter, plus the ceiling box adapter. All Duravent at this point, unless someone tells me otherwise. $500!!! for interior pipe. I'm really shocked at the cost.

Sure looks a lot like my duravent ceiling support box. Here’s a photo I just took. It has the fancy double wall adapter. image.jpg
I have an identical ceiling support box in my shop with single wall and the duravent system from less than 10 years ago used a push in snap lock tailpiece that is like 12” long single wall black. No screws. I’m actually a bit worried that it will be very hard to remove since it snap locks in very well.

After seeing that crooked chimney, please put a level on that ceiling support box to make sure it’s set level and plumb. Also try to wiggle it to be sure it’s well attached. The box supports all of the chimney weight.

After seeing that crooked chimney, please put a level on that ceiling support box to make sure it’s set level and plumb. Also try to wiggle it to be sure it’s well attached. The box supports all of the chimney weight.
And that insulated class A is HEAVY! I was genuinely surprised at how heavy it is.

Sooteater did a really nice job from inside the house. Here's a look at the cap. Getting the stack straightened.....but that cap is just too far of a reach to straighten it.

PXL_20210822_211623832.jpg PXL_20210822_203136999.jpg

Reactions: rdust
So my local dealer sold me the fans for my BK King40. He gave me the Z1714 fan kit.... Unfortunately, these two fans don't reach the top of the stove when resting in the tabs on the lower back side of the stove. Is there another model of fan for the BK40 that my dealer is unaware of and I should ask for?

That is NOT a King 40! The KE40 was introduced in December of 2019.

Post picture of label from back of the stove, thank you.
I’ve been dredging through all these post’s to see if anyone else caught that! I figured you’d be along before too long. I’ve not been checking in for a while.
I’ve seen some deterioration, nothing like this ever before though!

Note that old single wall can be corroded to the point of needing replacement. It’s just mild steel not usually a lifetime pipe. Double wall is stainless steel inside and lasts a very long time.
I just learned something. Did not realize double wall inner was stainless...unless I forgot. I may have forgotten about forgetting.;lol

I’ve been dredging through all these post’s to see if anyone else caught that! I figured you’d be along before too long. I’ve not been checking in for a while.
I’ve seen some deterioration, nothing like this ever before though!
I had caught back when the thread started. I think you posted a like on BKVP’s response way back then as well. It looks like we both sort of forgot about this thread likely until we got a notice about it.

I think the OP is working on the older stove maybe to rebuild it, but he also bought a new BK40 to replace what he thought was a BK 40. LOL! Looks like he figured it out.

OP...you’ve already bought a new BK stove and if I understood your post correctly you are also buying double wall stove pipe as well from stove to ceiling. Good! That’s the best way to ensure optimal stove performance. That eliminates guess work when trouble shooting any potential future issues...of which I anticipate none.

I had caught back when the thread started. I think you posted a like on BKVP’s response way back then as well. It looks like we both sort of forgot about this thread likely until we got a notice about it.

I think the OP is working on the older stove maybe to rebuild it, but he also bought a new BK40 to replace what he thought was a BK 40. LOL! Looks like he figured it out.

OP...you’ve already bought a new BK stove and if I understood your post correctly you are also buying double wall stove pipe as well from stove to ceiling. Good! That’s the best way to ensure optimal stove performance. That eliminates guess work when trouble shooting any potential future issues...of which I anticipate none.
I sold the old King for $700. Bought a new King at $200 off with the pedestal and fans. All that helped me buy Duravent double wall pipe, collar, and chimney attachment. It's installed and works well. I'm surprised at how well the stove can keep the low and slow burn without snuffing out the fire. I'm less impressed with the adjustable Duravent. It is really, really, hard to slide so annual pipe cleaning is going to be more of a chore than I had hoped.