Memorial Day Weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, how many of you are planning on hittign the woodpile this weekend? Splitting party maybe?

Not me. I choose to do the wood working in cooler weather; winter and spring.

nothing like sweating your ass off all day to sit down to an ice cold beer in the shade though.

I'll take the beer and let you do the splitting. lol

In the following order:

Bucking, splitting, stacking, drinking, grilling, drinking, drinking, etc...

But seriously, I'm picking up a splitter for the weekend from my local saw shop and getting to work on the huge scrounge pile that I've been hoarding since January. I split two cords with nothing more than an 8lb maul, a sledge, and two wedges, but I just didn't have the time to devote to it day after day. I'm not really sure how much wood I even have at this point-guess I'll know after this weekend.

I have about a cord of poplar to split and a couple cords of hardwood. I'd like to get it finished up this weekend. I need to get this done and out of the way so I can bring more wood home. :)

Adirondackwoodburner said:
nothing like sweating your ass off all day to sit down to an ice cold beer in the shade though.
+1

yeah I hear you there. My wife always tell me I never have enough wood ;) and I agree with her!

Splitting party maybe?
Ja, a party of one. Got nobody to help me.

Picking up a rental splitter this afternoon. $51 for the whole weekend and have to drop it back off Tuesday morning. Gonna split some pine, box elder, maple, etc. Hopefully have about 1.5 cords ready to stack from what I already have. Got a permit to cut locally so aim is to get another 2.5 cords bucked and sitting ready for splitter.

:)

LLigetfa said:
Splitting party maybe?
I know that splitter you got has to have a kegg-o-rator on it?

Just wanted to thank all for their past military service and make this country what it is today.
As much as we might complain about how things are right now, there is no other place I would rather be!

ilikewood said:
Just wanted to thank all for their past military service and make this country what it is today.
As much as we might complain about how things are right now, there is no other place I would rather be!

"And crown thy good, with brotherhood, from sea to shining sea"

I've split two cords so far and probably another two or three cords still in rounds to be split. I'll be splitting for awhile still. Although I get kinda sad when there is nothing left to split. Splitting is a good workout for me and I enjoy the solitude it provides - as nobody seems to want to help me!

smokinj said:
LLigetfa said:
Splitting party maybe?
I know that splitter you got has to have a kegg-o-rator on it?
Not as much fun drinking alone either.

ml said:
ilikewood said:

"And crown thy good, with brotherhood, from sea to shining sea"

Thanks for saying thanks!

Serious splitting is for cold weather, swimming, gardening. drinking if summer sports :)

I work all weekend so no wood work for me. I do plan to do some cutting and splitting next week. I just got cutting rights to a massive amount of downed trees and really want to see what is there.

I split about a 1/2 cord yesterday, then worked on our giant splitter project. Today im headed over my parents to top and drop a decent size oak then off to rake and bale some hay for a friend. Then i'll probly split some more tonight! Busy Busy Busy...

God bless our troops past and present who protect our freedom and way of life!

I need to haul 15 good sized rounds to the woodpile and then split/stack.
I just finished restacking 2 cords of splits.
Just have to tidy up some rows of small rounds that have falen down.

leftyscott said:
Like this?

100_0339.jpg

I haven't gotten "round" to it yet as I'm working toward it from the other side.

LLigetfa said:
leftyscott said:
Like this?

100_0339.jpg

I haven't gotten "round" to it yet as I'm working toward it from the other side.
dont you have auto pilot on that splitter?

LLigetfa said:
leftyscott said:
Like this?

100_0339.jpg

Ummmmm... those are big rounds.

leftyscott said:
Ummmmm... those are big rounds.
They're small enough to buck with a 16 inch bar and small enough to lift. In my book they are small.

Status
Not open for further replies.