Menards refused to sell me a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ole

Mar 4, 2015
Wisconsin
So yesterday I ventured to my local Janesville WI Menards. In the past I have noticed they sell Drolet wood stoves. They had a couple on the floor but I was really interested in a Drolet Escape 1800 pedestal which they didn’t have. Asked the guy at the counter if he would order me one. He said no. I say what? He reply was “if it is not on my computer I can’t order it”.

When I get home I call Drolet and they can’t explain to me why Menards won’t order me an Escape. The Drolet guy on the phone said the closest one is sitting in a warehouse in South Bend Indiana or a hardware store in Hayward Wisconsin. I just don’t get this. Menards one would think could get me one? What am I missing here? I am not nor have I ever been a businessman so maybe I just don’t understand business practices,,,,

Last edited:
I’ve never been to a Menards but many years ago before coming into my career I worked in a big retail chain/store (Lowe’s).

You probably got some customer service rep at Menards that didn’t know what he was talking about, or was just being lazy. I’d get in touch with a department manager.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
If it's not on his computer, he can't order it. Maybe Menards only carries certain models.

Reactions: Highbeam
The 1800 is not available online or in store. There are 1400s available but they indicate they are to be discontinued when sold out. Maybe a trip to hayward is in order. Take the smowmobiles, make a weekend out of it.

Reactions: tadmaz and moresnow
Reactions: RAD418
So yesterday I ventured to my local Janesville WI Menards. In the past I have noticed they sell Drolet wood stoves. They had a couple on the floor but I was really interested in a Drolet Escape 1800 pedestal which they didn’t have. Asked the guy at the counter if he would order me one. He said no. I say what? He reply was “if it is not on my computer I can’t order it”.

When I get home I call Drolet and they can’t explain to me why Menards won’t order me an Escape. The Drolet guy on the phone said the closest one is sitting in a warehouse in South Bend Indiana or a hardware store in Hayward Wisconsin. I just don’t get this. Menards one would think could get me one? What am I missing here? I am not nor have I ever been a businessman so maybe I just don’t understand business practices,,,,
Well Menards didn't refuse to sell you a wood stove. The guy you talked to could find the stove you wanted in his computer either because he didn't know how or because they don't carry it. I am sure they would have gladly sold you plenty of other stoves.

Reactions: Das Jugghead
I bought an Escape 1800 pedestal model last year from a Menards in Indianapolis and I live in Arkansas. I had it shipped to me. They were very accommodating. I did try an order one from the local to me Menards in Branson, Missouri, but they wouldn’t do it either. Overall it was cheaper than going to Home Depot or directly with Drolet. Also other online sources would have cost me more.

Maybe a trip to hayward is in order. Take the smowmobiles, make a weekend out of it.

240 miles to Hayward from here. I got a buddy with a cabin on Lake Chetac which is a half hour away. We have stayed in it before but it is a three season cabin so I am thinking a trip to Hayward will happen in April/May. And come home with a wood stove in back of truck. For what it is worth I just typed in my zip code on the Drolet Escape 1800 web page find a dealer search?
You guessed it Menards Janesville pops up “17 miles from your location”.:)

I noticed that Menards ordering process can be funny in many ways.

A good sales person would have explained the situation better to you, I'm sorry we don't carry that model and I can't get it for you and maybe give you an option of two to try and get one. I worked in retail for a few years and it sounds like he wasn't properly trained or that's his personality.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
A good sales person would have explained the situation better to you, I'm sorry we don't carry that model and I can't get it for you and maybe give you an option of two to try and get one. I worked in retail for a few years and it sounds like he wasn't properly trained or that's his personality.
I absolutely agree it was poorly handled but the title is innacurate.

Is ordering online and shipping to the store out of the question?

EDIT: They don't have them on their online catalog so you're probably out of luck.

They would certainly sell you a stove, just not the specific one that you wanted which they don’t offer for sale.

Reactions: blacktail

With free delivery to your house. Don't worry about Menards.

https://myfireplaceproducts.com/us_en/heaters

Not going to repeat what others have said, but Drolet's website says the following for the 1800 stove:
This product will be ready for shipping starting 2019-01-30.

So, it may be that Menards will have it later if they've decided to put it on their product list.

If you go to Hayward, stop by Grindstone Lk for me.

Reactions: blacktail
I don't know about Menards, but at Home Depot, if they sell any product from vendor X, they can usually special order every single thing that vendor X makes.

You do need to talk to someone who has been around a while. New hires do tend to think that if it's not on the website, it's not available.

Reactions: ole
Not going to repeat what others have said, but Drolet's website says the following for the 1800 stove:
This product will be ready for shipping starting 2019-01-30.

So, it may be that Menards will have it later if they've decided to put it on their product list.

If you go to Hayward, stop by Grindstone Lk for me.

And my guess is that that will be the updated stove for 2020 standards. Menards is probably still selling off the older stoves.

Sounds like they are clearing out all woodstove inventory.