messy roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
Came home from work and noticed my pipe had tan/brown streaks running down one side. Got on the roof and the flashing and storm collar had spots I could see where it ran or dripped down onto that. Popped the cap off and noticed some brown liquid on the rim there to. Overall the pipe has a thin light dusting of black and some gray creosote /ash. Whats with the drippy mess?

devinsdad said:
Came home from work and noticed my pipe had tan/brown streaks running down one side. Got on the roof and the flashing and storm collar had spots I could see where it ran or dripped down onto that. Popped the cap off and noticed some brown liquid on the rim there to. Overall the pipe has a thin light dusting of black and some gray creosote /ash. Whats with the drippy mess?

The gases cool at the top of the piping & the cap, condenses and runs down. It happens, part of wood burning.

Hogwildz said:
devinsdad said:

The gases cool at the top of the piping & the cap, condenses and runs down. It happens, part of wood burning.

Yup...the "drippy mess" is creosote. Better there than down inside your system somewhere. Rick

Seems to have appeared overnight. Just made me wonder . Thanks

devinsdad said:
Seems to have appeared overnight. Just made me wonder . Thanks
If your burning 24/7, and it was running while you were at work. There is always a chance it ran a lil cooler while you were away, factor in this year has been seemingly colder last few weeks than usual, good mixture for condensation and appearing quick on the piping. I have a few more runs on mine than I had in the last 3 years together. The wood plays a big part. With the wet summer we had here, my wood just did not dry as much as I was expecting. Gotta make due with what ya got. Just keep an eye on it. I may sweep the next decent day I can shut her down.

this isn't tarry creosote its like water with a brownish color. Would a dusting of snow melt and turn brown from contact with black creosote on the cap? The cap is the onlt sticky black part. On another note the door was just a touch darkened this afternoon also .

Sure...cap has creosote built up on it (as they all do)...snow falls on it, it's hot, snow melts and carries away some brown. If that's all that's happening, then get back down off the roof and stop worrying about it. In fact, do that anyway. %-P Rick

devinsdad said:
this isn't tarry creosote its like water with a brownish color. Would a dusting of snow melt and turn brown from contact with black creosote on the cap? The cap is the onlt sticky black part. On another note the door was just a touch darkened this afternoon also .

I don't think snow is going to cause the stains. As the snow id on the outside of the system.
It is the condensation on the upper inner part of the pipe & and even more so, the condensation on the underside of the cap, which is where the creosote(black stains) & fly ash (brown stains) is most prominent.
Your wood is maybe a tad wetter than optimal, just keep an eye on the top and make sure if there is a screen, that it doesn't get clogged with soot.
The dark glass is a sure sign of lower burning temp &/0r wetter wood. No doubt.

Force of habit to be a habitual worrywart. I haven't even taken the ladder down since completing the install in October. I am up there at least once a week. But I put the probe therm. in last night so maybe I can cut down on my visual inspections and dig the ladder outta the snowbank .

Noticed this on the outside of my pipe below the cap today too. We are only a couple weeks into burning, and don't exactly know what we are doing yet, but on the whole the wood is very dry and several years old. Some of it was a bit wet a couple weeks ago but it was from rain before it was covered, not from being green. Though I guess moisture is moisture.

So does this stuff mean we are not doing this right or that the fuel is bad, or is it to be expected no matter what anyway? I don't really care what that pipe looks like but if it makes it down the outside of the brick chimney and onto my one year old purty roof, I will be an unhappy camper!

We have had a lot of rain and the creosote seems to be running down the side opposite the sun and prevailing winds. (north)
Sorry for the hijack.

tickbitty said:
Noticed this on the outside of my pipe below the cap today too. We are only a couple weeks into burning, and don't exactly know what we are doing yet, but on the whole the wood is very dry and several years old. Some of it was a bit wet a couple weeks ago but it was from rain before it was covered, not from being green. Though I guess moisture is moisture.

So does this stuff mean we are not doing this right or that the fuel is bad, or is it to be expected no matter what anyway? I don't really care what that pipe looks like but if it makes it down the outside of the brick chimney and onto my one year old purty roof, I will be an unhappy camper!

We have had a lot of rain and the creosote seems to be running down the side opposite the sun and prevailing winds. (north)
Sorry for the hijack.

It happens to the best of us. Mine has not made it past the pipe, Not down the block or onto the roof. You should be ok.
Is the roof light colored or dark? Is it in an obvious spot. If not, why worry. It won't hurt the roof.

Good thread. I have a small amount of brown that ran down from my chimney onto the vinyl siding. My chimney is covered with siding and is being stained by the brown creosote. I power wash the house every year. Was wondering if this stain will come off in the spring with a good power washing, with some bleach.

Status
Not open for further replies.