Metal or ceramic cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodrow

Jan 13, 2012
Virginia
Hi everyone, was hoping to get the latest/greatest insight on ceramic vs metal cats. I know the industry and products are steadily evolving and I haven't kept up with things, so was hoping to learn from the experts.

I have an FPX 36 fireplace which comes equipped with a ceramic cat. I've owned and used this model for 4 full seasons now, going into my 5th. I typically burn about 4-5 cords a winter, so it sees a fair amount of use. I just inspected my cat and it's looking pretty tired. Some distortion and cracking in the elements etc. I recall when I got the FPX fireplace I think I remember people saying the cat lasts 4-5 seasons depending on use.

So now I'm considering replacing it and I see a new ceramic one is ~$400. I also see metal ones are about a hundred bucks more. If I knew the metal ones truly would last longer, wouldn't crack and not get as distorted as the ceramic ones, I'd consider paying the extra. But does anyone have any input on whether its worth it? I know some "industry partners" patrol these boards, so I guess I have to put my skeptical hat on to some degree, but really just looking for honest and direct experiences from real users (and I know there's plenty of them here).

Thanks...

I have a different stove but have just about finished up my second cat. One ceramic and one steel. Neither lasts longer than the other when you're using both properly. The steel costs a lot more with negligible improvement in performance by lighting off sooner at 400.

I will be replacing my current steel with ceramic when it finally conks out. They last 10,000 to 12,000 hours which is only 2-3 years for serious burners.

After having both, I prefer the ceramic cat. I’d be concerned with warpage considering how large the FPX cat is. In fact, I’m surprised it’s offered. Travis stoves offer no cat protection from the flames they take it really hard.

Thanks Highbeam. Wow, 10K-12K hours sounds like an awful lot of burning time. I've estimated I burn about 1300 hours a year and after 4 solid seasons, or roughly 5200 hours of use, this ceramic cat looks about tapped out. If these cats are supposed to last that long, mine should last at least 7-9 years.