• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
when we do our garage project, we are looking at a metal roof.. i'm excited, but now my wife wants to tear our roof off and do it at the same time... not going to happen!

Lol, who wants to place bets on whether Doobish`s wife gets her way or not?

Reactions: Ashful
Lol, who wants to place bets on whether Doobish`s wife gets her way or not?
given that the ashpalt roof is only 5 years old, we just installed solar panels, and 2/3 of our roof is a flat roof that probably needs to have the sheathing replaced when we tear it off, i'm guessing she doesn't :)

She gets the pretty new roof on the garratage...

Why no washers?

The installer says he pays extra to have it without the washer. The way they screw it it is water tight and there is no washer that will desintegrate itself in 30-40 years from now that will require to retight or change the screws.

when we do our garage project, we are looking at a metal roof.. i'm excited, but now my wife wants to tear our roof off and do it at the same time... not going to happen!

I had the metal roof installed on top of the old asphalt roof. There’s a air gap between both roofs

given that the ashpalt roof is only 5 years old, we just installed solar panels, and 2/3 of our roof is a flat roof that probably needs to have the sheathing replaced when we tear it off, i'm guessing she doesn't :)

She gets the pretty new roof on the garratage...

Sounds like it would be rough to put a new good 9n the house then!

The installer says he pays extra to have it without the washer. The way they screw it it is water tight and there is no washer that will desintegrate itself in 30-40 years from now that will require to retight or change the screws.

Hmm, wonder how they get them water tight without washers?

The way they install it (I think they put it at an angle and screw them tight) and maybe the kinda asphalt coating on the galvalum shingles makes it tight enough so water doesn’t get below. Also below that there’s a air space and a membrane and then the old asphalt shingles. It is Garanteed 50 years to the original owner.

I've seen the screws installed without washers, then just a dab of silicone on top. Maybe not the prettiest, but worked well

I've seen the screws installed without washers, then just a dab of silicone on top. Maybe not the prettiest, but worked well

Silicon they used when they installed the chimney 2 years ago. There is no silicone and no washer nothing
60e09b6ff23ce89585e0653c3a4e75b4.jpg
on the screws

I had the metal roof installed on top of the old asphalt roof. There’s a air gap between both roofs
Dang Id be scared it be too much weight.... and how can one see if any damage to the roofs sheating?Thats just my HUMBLE opinion as a little old lady homeowner. We already made sure roof torn off...I listen to lots of home imp programs esp radio. Never TV anymore.
and read lots of HomeImp forums. Each of the houses. we lived in and owned ... I (BOSSEY WOMAN)made sure it was done !!!! Im def not Martha Stewart. I like Durability...so the next HO doesn't call me "CHEAPSKATE" or"half-a..."er

Reactions: coutufr
In my opinion, when you are installing a new roof, you are installing a roof system. Any legitimate roofing system is going to come with recommendations for fasteners, installations and details. If you decide to ignore them, you do so at your own peril and any warranty is null and void. If you don't like the system, pick another one. Hidden fasteners are the way to go, exposed fasteners just introduce too much long term potential for leaks.

In my opinion, when you are installing a new roof, you are installing a roof system. Any legitimate roofing system is going to come with recommendations for fasteners, installations and details. If you decide to ignore them, you do so at your own peril and any warranty is null and void. If you don't like the system, pick another one. Hidden fasteners are the way to go, exposed fasteners just introduce too much long term potential for leaks.
ter get moving Hubbing is trying to do some unflattering since its cold out today
but peak bagger how do you put hidden fasteners on a regular metal roof?
Regular metal one here was installed with screws in the flat part...
Hubby was up there with them on the roof making sure they did it half way right and finished it .esp around the chimney .
It was an unusual hot early April days
now purgatory house we paid for the hidden seams( I mean standing seam installation. costs 3 times or more...
Just a saying yall. thanks y'all
I better get a moving and do some decluttering of this place

Reactions: coutufr
Have seen a few slate roofs go on recently ,heard they last 100+ years. My own slate roof was on for about 80 years. Probably could have fixed the few loose tiles and got another 50 years out of it. Only reason they were loose is the nails rusted away. The asphalt shingle roof that replaced it is nearing the end of its useful lifespan at about 20+ years. I already replaced (3yrs ago) the north side porch roof that gets very little sun. Its was disintegrating for several years before it was replaced.
Iv notice the BLACK asphalt shingles seem to last much longer. I have one on another house close to 30 yrs and its still watertight and looks great.The worst part again, is that which never gets any sun. Seems to rot.

My house in Pittsburgh had a slate roof. The longevity depends on the quality of the slate. Our house (and pretty much all of the houses in the area) had used PA Black slate, which was estimated to last from 70-90 years. We replaced it after 83 years. The roofer had said that most of the street probably had slate roofs at one time (the side build up in the early 30's); we were the last holdout.

Several slate types are predicted to last 150-200 years or more. If the wife and I ever build, I'd like to sell her on a slate roof; one of the ones that last. We'd be long dead, but I like the looks and the idea of building something to last. Our current house will need a roof in a few years; our garage roof looks terrible, but I think I'll start patching if it leaks to limp it along and do both at once. We like the idea of a metal roof, but a local contractor who does them said it would be difficult with the way our roof is designed.

http://www.slateroofcentral.com/identify.html - A page of slate types.

With the way your roof is designed? The only roofs that don't work well with metal are flat roofs, but if that was the case you wouldn't have shingles either...

With the way your roof is designed? The only roofs that don't work well with metal are flat roofs, but if that was the case you wouldn't have shingles either...

Lots of hips & valleys, etc., would make metal sheets more difficult though.

Lots of hips & valleys, etc., would make metal sheets more difficult though.

This, I think, is the issue. We have a former that contains a bathroom, and the front has a peak built in running perpendicular to the main roof, so there's a few hips and valleys on the roof. We were talking about cost, and he seemed to think just re-shingling (with the newer architectural shingles) would be significantly less money than the metal roofing systems they install.

My plan was to do a reshingle, asphalt came back at 4450 for 30 year warranty, screw down metal was 4600 for 50 year, and standing seam came back at 12000 for 50.

I had planned on standing seam but not for 3x the cost. Should be noted I only have 1 vent pipe and just a normal peaked roof so there wasn't a whole lot of cutting involved.

Standing seam was a little over double the cost of shingles for me, but with my roof design (6:12 slope, then halfway down the roof drops to a 2:12- very condusive to ice dams) and my area, I got the metal for the peace of mind to never have to mess with it again.

I was debating on a good standing seam metal roof for my next house, am hoping to do as much of the building and finishing as possible, but have never installed standing seam with hidden fasteners. Is the installation fairly straightforward? difficult? The house will be designed with efficiency and longevity in mind, minimizing installation complexity and hopefully preventing future issues by just a simple rectangle with no seams and minimum roof penetrations if any. Are there typically any underlayment requirements? I know on my current home with standing seam roof put on in '07 they did not, but it was a homeowner job and who knows what corners they cut. I know they covered up fire damage with it and didn't even make any attempt to fix any of it, even the small furring strips that were burnt through (no sheathing, just the thin little strips and quite a few were charred and some burnt through!).

I put Grace ice & water shield under mine, but pretty sure that was overkill. I like overkill.

There are two main camps of standing seam- the snap together panels that a homeowner can do, and the true crimped standing seam that you need a metal forming machine and specialized crimpers for- not DIY'able. I got the latter, I haven't seen the snap together panels in person so can't speak to them, but it's hard to imagine them being as strong as a good double fold crimp.

I've got the snap together standing seam roof . . . or at least it's the metal roof with hidden fasteners. Roof was put on maybe four or five years ago. We've had plenty of wind storms, rain and snow and so far so good. The only negative I have had is that I need to put in a cricket above one of our vents as it keeps getting pounded by the snow zipping off the back roof.

I put Grace ice & water shield under mine, but pretty sure that was overkill. I like overkill.

There are two main camps of standing seam- the snap together panels that a homeowner can do, and the true crimped standing seam that you need a metal forming machine and specialized crimpers for- not DIY'able. I got the latter, I haven't seen the snap together panels in person so can't speak to them, but it's hard to imagine them being as strong as a good double fold crimp.

Hmm I didn't know there where two very different types. I'm curious which I have, will have to do some research to see if I can identify the difference between the types. When I bought the house they claimed the roof was new and had warranty by some company but I've lost the paperwork. But about 8 years later (this past year) I was talking to a realtor who was friends with the p.o. and their realtor, and said they did the roof themselves and she helped them a little. There are a couple of minor leaks I can't explain, one over the great room that only leaks in a real bad storm, maybe once every other year but always the same spot. There is nothing visible up from the roof. And on the other side of house when its storming bad I see a couple drips running down the underside of the metal, I presume the wind is driving the rain through the seams on the ridge cap, I'm not sure if this is usually sealed up somehow? But it's definitely not air tight, when working up in the attic in the dark you can see tiny specs of light shining through some of the seams near the ridge, so I figure a tiny bit of wind driven rain getting in is unavoidable. House is drafty enough it all dries up, but now I am sealing up under the roof with foamboard between the trusses, hope I'm not going to trap too much moisture. There is still the gap created by all the furring strips at least, but it is not technically vented.