Metal smoke chamber repair help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody502

Nov 20, 2021
Louisville
Metal smoke chamber repair help? Was quoted 10k for a full firebox and smoke chamber rebuild… I just paid them 3500 a couple years ago to reline flue now they said they have to remove the metal firebox and the metal smoke chamber to have it work properly… only two holes… said it’s not safe to use… feel like they are ripping me off…

4BA85876-4D89-40E4-B7D8-16743016BB06.jpeg 1858264E-8B87-4B4A-9D71-C1400594D42C.jpeg

Is this a heatform style fireplace? If so, have you considered a good insert for it as an alternative fix? Properly installed it will be safe, burn much cleaner, and put out a lot more heat using less wood.

I just looked up heat-form style, and it does seem to look almost identical. My boss came over and looked at it with me and suggested the same thing. If we can’t just weld it. I was just trying to find a cheaper fix. Thanks for the suggestion!!

How dangerous are those two holes?
They can be an indication of weakness in that entire area. If you poke hard with a screwdriver, can you punch through other spots around it? At a minimum, a plate should be welded over that area extending to the nearest solid areas.

How dangerous are those two holes?
I can guarantee there are more than those 2 holes. The smoke shelf is probably full of them.

So if I put furnace cement and sealed them or welded them do you think that would be ok? Or just go for the insert/rebuild?
As bholler noted, the suspicion is that those holes are just the first that are visible. If there has been long term rusting due to a lack of chimney cap or other reasons, the top of the heatform could be very thin and with more holes than just those showing.

I understand, isn’t there a foam fire mortar the chimney company could spray in there to adhere to the rusted metal? I hope!! If not I guess I’ll just have to do the full rebuild. Or go for the insert… Im just trying to find the best solution! Thanks for all the help!!

From a pure cost perspective I just did a new self installed insert with 25’ insulated liner for 2000$. It’s far superior to an open fireplace IMO.

Reactions: Woody502
I understand, isn’t there a foam fire mortar the chimney company could spray in there to adhere to the rusted metal? I hope!! If not I guess I’ll just have to do the full rebuild. Or go for the insert… Im just trying to find the best solution! Thanks for all the help!!
Your heat form is rusted through and is no longer safe to use. Your options are to cut it out and replace it with a masonry firebox or install a liner and insert.

My only question to them would be why didn't they catch this problem.during the reline. Itt didn't happen in a few years.

That’s way cheaper then 10 k pull it all out and rebuild it!!
I will say I paid almost 6k to have a nice stove installed 4 years ago. So like most things there are options for many different budgets and skill levels.

I agree, it should have all been done at once… seems like they just keep coming back and trying to get more money from me… it’s for sure been rusted like that for a long time… I just wish they would help me out a little bit on the cost… prolly going to switch chimney company’s, and go with the insert.

What are the risks with having fires with a rusted heat form smoke chamber?

I’m asking that because I’ve burned over a cord of wood in the fireplace last year.

What are the risks with having fires with a rusted heat form smoke chamber?
Smoke or carbon monoxide leaking into the air circulation chamber and then into the house.

Great they could have poisoned me…

If I was able to rip the metal out of the smoke chamber, and then they coat it would that make it usable again?