Metalbestos chimney Ultra Temp vs Sure Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brider

Jun 13, 2008
New Haven, CT
I just installed a Metalbestos Roof Support Bracket and a 48" length of 6" 6UT-48" pipe, which is the Metalbestos Ultra-Temp Stainless series.

I then ordered, and recieved, (2) Metalbestos 6" 36" length stainless from a web retailer(thinking it would be 6UT-36 pipe), and what I GOT was Metalbestos Sure-Temp stainless pipe, part number 6ST-36.

Does anybody know the difference between the Ultra-Temp and Sure-Temp product lines? They are compatable and can be interchangeable, but I was expecting (2) lengths of 6UT-36, not 6ST-36.

The only difference I can find reading the literature is that the UT-series is a lifetime guarantee with 300-series stainless inner pipe and 430-series stainless outer, while the ST-series has a (?) warranty, and 430-series inner and outer pipe as opposed to the 300-series inner on the UT.

Am I splitting hairs here?

I asked pretty much the same question to Karen at tech support. The only diff in the two is inner pipe. Karen said if you are burning wood they are both fine. If you were burning coal, the inner pipe on the Ultra offers a little more corrosion resistance but with wood it really doesn't matter. The warranty is the same. The Sure Temp seems to be a fair amount less expensive. The Sure and Ultra are interchangable with each other but NOT with Supervent(Lowes)

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Yawiney
Status
Not open for further replies.