MF Fire Nova Insert — Burning Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NovaBurner

Feb 22, 2023
Connecticut
I've been in touch with them. Waiting to hear back. But decide to use all my newbie energy and muster the courage and ask for help.

Installed a couple of months ago. I've been burning / testing some ash and maple that reads about 18-20% — so dry enough.

The problem is: no matter how much or how i load or style of burning (top down, as recommended by MF Fire) — after getting stove hot enough for the bypass to be engaged, all the wood is down to a bed of coal and ash in less than 2hrs!

15-30min — bypass open: lots of fire. (200F)
30-50min — bypass closed: i can see top fire but still i got that slow moving fire all over. (300-400F at most!)
50min-:1:15h — bypass closed: bed hot coal (white with red core). down to 1/3 of original height (300-350F), a little fire here and there.
1:15-1:45h — bypass closed: flat bed of coal and ash. No fire at all.
2h — time to reload? Temp (200F)
3h — some coal, enough to start a new fire with some paper/cardboard (100-150F)

What are the most likely culprits? What am i doing wrong? What more info would be helpful?

I've been in touch with them. Waiting to hear back. But decide to use all my newbie energy and muster the courage and ask for help.

Installed a couple of months ago. I've been burning / testing some ash and maple that reads about 18-20% — so dry enough.

The problem is: no matter how much or how i load or style of burning (top down, as recommended by MF Fire) — after getting stove hot enough for the bypass to be engaged, all the wood is down to a bed of coal and ash in less than 2hrs!

15-30min — bypass open: lots of fire. (200F)
30-50min — bypass closed: i can see top fire but still i got that slow moving fire all over. (300-400F at most!)
50min-:1:15h — bypass closed: bed hot coal (white with red core). down to 1/3 of original height (300-350F), a little fire here and there.
1:15-1:45h — bypass closed: flat bed of coal and ash. No fire at all.
2h — time to reload? Temp (200F)
3h — some coal, enough to start a new fire with some paper/cardboard (100-150F)

What are the most likely culprits? What am i doing wrong? What more info would be helpful?
What is your chimney setup? What is your procedure for testing moisture content? And how and where are you measuring those temps

Can you post a picture of the next loading of the stove with the door open? That could be helpful in spotting an issue.

Is this the Nova1 or Nova2 insert?

Chimney from top of the stove is about 20 feet. As far as setup go i'm not sure i will know to answer in the detail. But it's a liner running into the old fireplace (nothing fancy about it as far as i can tell).

Moisture: measured using a $30 reader off amazon. Tested the outside of the split and re-split and tested again.

Thermometer: Using a magnet one that is on the door of the insert.

Can you post a picture of the next loading of the stove with the door open? That could be helpful in spotting an issue.

Is this the Nova1 or Nova2 insert?
Yes. I will try and photograph or video of the load tomorrow. And if time allows more images every 30mins or so to track progress.

Edit: Nova 1 Insert.

Reactions: begreen
A picture before it is lit will be fine. I want to see how the stove is being loaded.

A picture before it is lit will be fine. I want to see how the stove is being loaded.
I see. I will take a shot later then. But right now i'm loading on top of the last remnants of coal. One small log or two until it catches fire and then, loading it full on top of that. If it makes sense.

Here are some shots.

Starting fire:
IMG_0408.jpeg

The load:
IMG_0411.jpeg

At 30 min:

IMG_0419.jpeg

Then at around 1h
IMG_0421.jpeg

At 2h:

IMG_0422.jpeg

That looks to be the issue, The Nova1 capacity is restricted to about 1.6 cu ft due to the sloped back and likely less due to concerns of wood falling and rolling up against the glass. Your results are echoed by the EPA tests which recorded a 2.48hr burn time. The single-rate burn control lets it burn hot and fast for the cleanest burn.

That looks to be the issue, The Nova1 capacity is restricted to about 1.6 cu ft due to the sloped back and likely less due to concerns of wood falling and rolling up against the glass. Your results are echoed by the EPA tests which recorded a 2.48hr burn time. The single-rate burn control lets it burn hot and fast for the cleanest burn.
I see. So this amount of time and heat is what it should be? Is that contradicting with this info on their website? Just really trying to understand if i'm missing anything. Thanks!

1677183198526.png

If you can get ahold of some truly seasoned OAK that might buy you some more time, but you won't be seeing 15 hours I can guarantee that. I questioned that when I first saw in on their website how they came up with that. Would love to see a timelapse video supporting that burn time.

I see. So this amount of time and heat is what it should be? Is that contradicting with this info on their website? Just really trying to understand if i'm missing anything. Thanks!

View attachment 310145
This sounds like wishful thinking.

View attachment 310145
I have a Nova 2 and can go about 12-13 hours with a no match relight time burning ash. Of course by that time the stove top is just warm to the touch. I just have to rake the coals into a pile, throw some real small splits on it, and then throw some full size logs on top of that. It takes about 30min with the door cracked it get flames to appear. That being said I stuff the fire box to the absoute max when going for a long burn. It is not uncommon for the wood ive loaded to shift and bump the door.

Have you had any issues with smoke roll out? If I left my door open like you did in the picture labeled "starting fire" id have the smoke alarm going off in about 5 seconds.

Just to clarify engage = open the bypass. Then wait a few seconds, then open the door an inch, wait a few seconds, then open it slowly. The wait allows the draft to equalize.

Reactions: on30on18