Mice in house. Plug hole or leave be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The other day my daughter noticed some mice in the room where we store the dog and cat food. She put Confetti in there. She went straight to the mouse hole and crouched beside it. A mouse came out! Boom! It was dead. Confetti carried it out to the other cats. Then she went back. Soon another mouse had ceased living. My daughter locked Confetti in the room over night. By morning there was a pile of eleven mice beside the hole. We wonder how many she ate. I think she needs to go to school and prowl the halls!

That’s a story my sister posted on a family chat the other day. Confetti is one of their cats. Too bad all cats aren’t like that! Here we have a dog that will go after them, and also several cats that will. We also have snakes close by. Call me weird, but I don’t mind snakes. Now, if I find a rattlesnake against my house or in the attached garage (these have both happened) I will catch it and release it elsewhere, or it may bite the dust, it depends on my mood right then. 🤔

Reactions: VintageGal
I'd squirt peppermint oil in the hole and then fill it in. Trap and kill whatever's left inside. If you toss them out, they'll keep trying to get back in. Take a good look around the outside of the house and make any corrections needed to physical entry points.

There's a youtube channel with a guy that seems to do nothing but test rat and mouse traps. Recently the OWLTRA electric traps seem like a good option. No poisons. Quick zap and done. The trap has a light to alert you that it got one. I'm due for a new garage door and seal and get some mice in my garage. They really irritate me. Had some glue traps that took care of a few but they mostly get leaves, debris, and spiders. Peppermint oil infused bags keep them off stuff I'm concerned with. Gonna try the OWLTRA units. I watched a show once that explained how even if you catch a mouse in your home and release it far away it'll find it's way back.

The Shake Away mouse repellants work well but don't last. You can make your own with a small 1oz container of peppermint essential oil (don't spill it in your house!). Mix some drops with rice or saw dust and tie it in an old sock or some cloth.
Thanks. Ill try the oil. All trapped mice find their way to the big cheese wheel in the sky.