Middle Of April, No Fire Tonight!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
55F outside, dropping to 45F.

I hate this change !!!

It tickled 50 here but is supposed to drop down to 35 tonight. I'm not fond of these two fires a day either.

Fun spring weather for us this week. It's been mostly heat pump time lately but I'll likely have a fire Monday. Having no afternoon sun makes a big difference.

Cold starting every day is realllllllly annoying and I hate burning when its 40 degrees overnight. It just doesn't burn as well and feels like a waste of wood. We often just go sweatshirts and blankets and keep the heat pump set to 62 in this weather.

Screenshot_20210411-084023_Weather.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's not over yet in north east PA. But haven't run the stove in weeks. I burn weekends with a evening fire when it will be in the 30's.

I know I'll be running the PE this evening. Icy Hollow @ 35ish tonight. And damp, damp, damp.

I know I'll be running the PE this evening. Icy Hollow @ 35ish tonight. And damp, damp, damp.
Same here. 30s overnight, but amazingly the forecast for this week is all golden orbs. That means short, hot fires at 7am and then let the sun carry the load. Then another fire around 8pm. Looks like by mid-week we will be heating with electrons.

Reactions: Dix
Well we are getting hit,brought lots of wood in,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210411-214351_Weather Network.jpg
    Screenshot_20210411-214351_Weather Network.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 85
This past Saturday was so beautiful out, made it up to 71 here, windows open, spent the whole day outside working on my wood pile. Ended up having a nice bonfire in the evening and was outside in just long sleeves until 11pm.
Sunday - blahhhh showers, Today more of the same and cooler out, might do a small fire this evening to get the edge off.

Made a fire just now to take the edge off. It's been 40-45 but damp and cloudy outside. It just feels cold with the heat pump at 65. I find the pump/sun strategy works really well on clear or partly cloudy days but when its full cloud cover and damp it's not enough.

With lows in the 30s for the next 1-1/2 wks, probably will light the stove once a day. Early mornings are best, after the house has had a chance to cool down at night.

You all cheat, must have another source of heat. if all you have is wood you're still stacking. Burned the scrubs for two days but gonna get a little colder

You all cheat, must have another source of heat. if all you have is wood you're still stacking. Burned the scrubs for two days but gonna get a little colder
Not cheating, it's smart to use an alternative when temps are mild. It is often more economical and cleaner.

Fire tonight. 45 west of Boston. Cloudy all day.

Maybe fires Friday and Saturday. Probably last for the season.

Last edited:

I have an OB, but don't want to use it (current rate of use with the PE running for heat, is .2 gallons a day for HW)

I have PLENTY of firewood, and to keep the house warm is minimal use of firewood.

I may start one when I get home. Its chilly out, cold end of week with chance of snow so I'm not done yet.

Little starter fire with the bottom of the kindling box nubbins right now. Gonna throw about 5 splits in for overnight...going to be about 38 here. Had a morning fire today, first one in a couple weeks. As other NE folks said I forsee a few more at most. This week a lot of cloudy/wet days and 40 ish nights so we'll see.

RE alternative energy - if it's 45+ I much prefer to just run my heat pump. It's extremely efficient when used at the right temps and it saves all my wood/hard work for when we really need it.

The tough days are the ones like today where it's 40 degrees, cloudy, and damp. Could probably get away with the heat pump but it just doesn't feel very warm. One good fire in the am is usually enough to take the edge off the whole day.

16182754884281005223630255299848.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have PLENTY of firewood, and to keep the house warm is minimal use of firewood.
Yup, amazing how little wood it takes to do the job in this kind of weather...

Reactions: PaulOinMA
usually wait til our first 70º day (or 5 straight 60º days) before the furnace is shut down for the summer....
well, it's been damneer 80º olready so it's closed until late october/early november.
the wood keeps burning, however... don't like the chill in the air on overcast damp days...
and we have just under a face left from 3 cords of oak...

gotit burnin' now.

I have a feeling that some of you are going to be burning some wood for some nasty weather is approaching my area--snow and rain all week. If I had my wood stove hooked up I might very well be burning a little for some training that I need,,lol..Pretty fire stove burning pictures on this thread--getting syked up here ready to try a twig or two..clancey.

... Yup, amazing how little wood it takes to do the job in this kind of weather...

I was thinking the same when I had a fire a couple of nights ago. Fire just to put a few more degrees into the room. Just a few splits of firewood.

We just had 10 inches of snow.still burning for a while yet but not too cold.

Attachments

• 20210412_194150.jpg
    20210412_194150.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 85
We're in a gorgeous sunny stretch. Looks like no fires here until maybe Monday.

Here in SE MI, haven't had a fire for about a month :( Miss it, but nighttime lows are barely dipping in the low 40s. Coming up on a cold front with possible snow in the next few days. I was curious if I should have small 'break-in' fire before a large burn if stove has been unused since mid-March. I believe that's recommended practice at the beginning of every season to drive out moisture. Stove is 2020 Hearthstone Heritage and my concern is the soapstone tiles.

Here in SE MI, haven't had a fire for about a month :( Miss it, but nighttime lows are barely dipping in the low 40s. Coming up on a cold front with possible snow in the next few days. I was curious if I should have small 'break-in' fire before a large burn if stove has been unused since mid-March. I believe that's recommended practice at the beginning of every season to drive out moisture. Stove is 2020 Hearthstone Heritage and my concern is the soapstone tiles.
That's what I do, I make a medium fire and then when I get good coals I load it up.

Got it fired up now... 47° In Raymond... and the heat is comforting!

5382C286-0D90-4164-8B0B-249303B6F6F4.jpeg