Might Be Overkill. But a Nice Supplement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTRock

Burning Hunk
Aug 3, 2014
CT
So I just moved in the house and brought with us our 6 year old Lopi Leyden Pellet Stove. Was not confident it would heat are 2100sq colonial. So last month I had a PE Summit Insert installed in my masonry fire place. My wife does not want to sell the Pellet stove. So now it sits in the corner of our down stairs sitting room on the hearth pad.

So I'm contemplating dropping the $600 to have it installed and use it as a backup/supplement to the woodstove. At least through our 1st year with wood it leaves my wife and kids with room for error with the woodstove while I'm at work. knowing the Thermostat for the pellet stove will click on if the wood fire goes out.

Maybe on a really cold day they can both run. Who knows?

Attachments

• 1411911951039.jpg
    1411911951039.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 301
  • 1411912016650.jpg
    1411912016650.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 280
Since you have a spot for it I would go for it!
Options are always good!
Like maybe using the pellet stove for the shoulders and like you said it would help on the really cold days.

Yea I was thinking that too. My wife says it can take the chill out in the morning and at night. (Basically Shoulder Season) Pellets are a plenty around here. I work a mile from CT Pellet in Torrington CT and I live 10 Mins from HD, Lowes, Tractor Supply and BT Pellets.

Also when I had my generator transfer switch installed. The room the pellet stove is in has power.

I have these grandiose plans to be off grid and warm and not dependent on the oil man. However my wife will turn the oil dial if she gets cold or the woodstove is difficult for her. Lol!

Last edited:
The secret to making her happy is going to be nice dry kindling, and lots of it. And if she likes the Summit, get some SuperCedar starters too. They make startups easy peasy. The secret to making the Summit burn well is fully seasoned wood. Poorly or partially seasoned wood will disappoint.

Yea cedars are on the radar for sure. Stacking 3 cords of partially seasoned next year wood now. So the more I think about the Lopi might come up big come crunch time

I think in north CT (Enfield?) there is a seller of fully seasoned wood. They also sell good highly compressed wood products (and pellets) like Homefire Prest-logs.

Place in Enfield sells NIELS but around here you should have no problem getting envi bricks, eco bricks etc. and they are pretty easy to use. I live in a raised ranch and I am thinking about getting a pellet stove for the downstairs family room since my insert is upstairs.

NIELs are da bomb.

What is NIELS? Never heard of it

It is a specific brand name of compressed firewood brick (or log?) Can't remember what NIELS stands for right at the moment...

Haha! Thanks

You guys ever burn the enviro logs? Sounds maybe like the Neil's they arnt around here but I'd like to try some Bc the enviro log is really nice

They are compressed, waxed cardboard logs. I have not tried them but would be concerned about using them in a wood stove due to their petroleum base.

They are compressed, waxed cardboard logs. I have not tried them but would be concerned about using them in a wood stove due to their petroleum base.

These are not petroleum based like other manufactured firelogs. Visit their Web site. They are made from recycled waxed-cardboard. They are safe to cook over and have been tested safe for use in wood stoves by a third party testing laboratory.

These are not petroleum based like other manufactured firelogs.

And that wax came from the vacuum distillation unit of an oil refinery.

These are not petroleum based like other manufactured firelogs. Visit their Web site. They are made from recycled waxed-cardboard. They are safe to cook over and have been tested safe for use in wood stoves by a third party testing laboratory.
I read "They are also a popular choice for fire pits, wood stoves, chimineas, and campfires." Not that they are necessarily safe for use in a wood stove. They do not say they were tested by OMNI in an EPA wood stove and provide no link to OMNI's tests. (I've requested a copy of the test.) Almost all of their suggestions for use are outdoor or open fire burning. The wax component makes these logs similar to DuraFlame logs which definitely should not be used in a modern wood stove. Personally I don't think I would burn them in any wood stove.

I wonder how they process that waxed cardboard. All waxed cardboard that I know of is lined with polyethylene. Some recyclers won't even take the stuff.

Website does not have the tests listed nor the test results. Allegedly this info is on the box, but I am not near any seller of the product. I see now that the box says "safe for wood stoves" but does not qualify that to include EPA stoves with unregulated secondaries nor catalytic stoves. The website does make some claims that raise other questions. They start out with a complete BS marketing statement - "Known as the greenest and most versatile firelogs on the market..."
that makes me suspicious from the get go. Exactly how is this greener than a good compressed wood product that has nothing but highly compressed sawdust in it?

Best price I can find is at Lowe's. $1,775 a ton.

I'm outta here.

$1775 :eek: ?? Yikes!

Yea I was thinking that too. My wife says it can take the chill out in the morning and at night. (Basically Shoulder Season) Pellets are a plenty around here. I work a mile from CT Pellet in Torrington CT and I live 10 Mins from HD, Lowes, Tractor Supply and BT Pellets.

Also when I had my generator transfer switch installed. The room the pellet stove is in has power.

I have these grandiose plans to be off grid and warm and not dependent on the oil man. However my wife will turn the oil dial if she gets cold or the woodstove is difficult for her. Lol!

I am on the Canton New Hartford Line..i think we go to the same Lowes,Home Depot and Tractor supply.

Can you install the pellet stove on the second floor?

I have burnt a ton of the enviro logs last year got a good deal on them and they were great no problems at all and when I clean my stack out this summer it was fine just like it should be. I don't see a problem with them. It does say safe for wood stoves on them the dura flame say not to burn them in a wood stove

What did you pay for the ton and where did you find them?

Status
Not open for further replies.