Might have a problem with my Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
We dropped an Ash back in October 2012.....cut into rounds shortly after......split & stacked most of it by April / May......splitting what is left today, and in the rounds have holes, and trails with Larve....no rot though.....is this okay to keep splitting and stacking in my racks, or should I separate it for the firepit ???.....I store the supply for the month in my garage during the burning season.

We dropped an Ash back in October 2012.....cut into rounds shortly after......split & stacked most of it by April / May......splitting what is left today, and in the rounds have holes, and trails with Larve....no rot though.....is this okay to keep splitting and stacking in my racks, or should I separate it for the firepit ???.....I store the supply for the month in my garage during the burning season.

One option might be to split it, but keep separate from your stacks. Wait a month or two and re-inspect. I definitely wouldn't bring it inside until you are sure it's bug-free.

Reactions: Beer Belly
CSS - once the moisture is gone, so is the majority of bugs. You MAY wish to keep it separated for a different reason though. Its gonna be wetter than the stuff you split earlier.

yeah.....I'm gonna keep an eye on it....the stack will be in full sun....I'll cook'em out

Reactions: PapaDave and Jags
Surprised the birds aren't gathering. They always seem to know when I have any buggy wood.

Someone in another post mentioned using clear plastic at an angle to speed up the drying process, might work well in your case. Just make sure you don't hinder the drying process by trapping moisture in.

split, stack, and rest easy cuz it ain't no problem at all.

if you're really stressin' then stack it separate from your other stuff, I'd probably do that NOT because of the larvae but rather because it won't be seasoned like the previous stuff you split.

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave

I've cut almost all ash for the last 11 years now. No problem with any bugs. For sure if the bark comes off you see all those tunnels but the bugs are gone. Or you might even get some powder post beetles who will leave you some very small holes and lots of very fine sawdust.

I think they are major contributors to the ozone layer. Don't burn 'em.
Knock 'em oughta there, and have a larvae fry. You know, like a fish fry, but with larvae.
J/K, of course.==c
They're fine. C/s/s, and go have a frosty one.

I have found lots of different kinds of larvae in my firewood, but none has yet created a big problem. Powder post beetles are the biggest problem I have had, and they are more of a minor mess than a real problem.

as was already mentioned, those bugs will be doomed once you split and stack that wood! There are bugs in almost all firewood, and they ain't gonna do any more damage being split and stacked.

Yep , Bugs don't like the splitter ,once U start splittin they jump off and run away, and they like wet wood anyway
Some times ,the little ants that fly out with the chips when cutting will bite ya but, they only take little bites :)

I split and stack buggy wood all the time. Sucks when I get a load of carpenter ants in "free" wood. I've found that spreading some 20 Mule-team borax detergent on the wood has never let me down, and it's supposed to be relatively benign for the environment, don't know about other bugs but I'm generally bug-free with borax.

Status
Not open for further replies.