Might have my first really good score ... how much to "tip" ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Here's the deal.. On my way back from dropping my daughter off at school I saw a tree crew setting up around the block from my house. I stopped quick and talked to them - asked them what they planned to do with the wood etc - bottom line, they agreed to drop it off in my back yard! :) No charge... sweet. Now, it isn't all premium hardwood - he said they are mostly taking out poplar (which I actually had to search a little to find a BTU rating for... it seems to be right about the same as pine, oh well - free is free eh?) but I'm sure if it had all been good oak I wouldn't be getting them to drop it off now would I?

So... here I am expecting to get what looks to be more than 1 but less then 3 cords worth of log length wood dropped in my back yard and it seems some sort of tip would be in order - any guidance/suggestions here? Seems going overboard reduces the value of the 'free' wood, but I also would like them to think of me if they are ever in the area again...

Slow1 said:
Here's the deal.. On my way back from dropping my daughter off at school I saw a tree crew setting up around the block from my house. I stopped quick and talked to them - asked them what they planned to do with the wood etc - bottom line, they agreed to drop it off in my back yard! :) No charge... sweet. Now, it isn't all premium hardwood - he said they are mostly taking out poplar (which I actually had to search a little to find a BTU rating for... it seems to be right about the same as pine, oh well - free is free eh?) but I'm sure if it had all been good oak I wouldn't be getting them to drop it off now would I?

So... here I am expecting to get what looks to be more than 1 but less then 3 cords worth of log length wood dropped in my back yard and it seems some sort of tip would be in order - any guidance/suggestions here? Seems going overboard reduces the value of the 'free' wood, but I also would like them to think of me if they are ever in the area again...
case of cold beer

$20 for each guy- ask to them to keep remembering you when they need to get rid of wood and tip em each time

^ +1. $20/head is what I'd do...tell 'em I'm buying lunch or beers or whatever they want. They won't forget. Rick

Thanks for the suggestions - I gave them $60 which seems to be close to your suggested amounts. I'm not sure how many were in their crew, more than 3 though. The guy I was talking to seemed quite surprised and happy at it so all is well.

Now - what did I get? Well, it looks to be more than 1 and less than 3 cords of logs (I am terrible at guessing these things). Poplar and birch according to them and I bet they know far better than I do. So not the best for BTU, but a bargain for me in any case. Now I have something to do and a good use for that new (used) saw that I picked up yesterday... my wife will of course figure I somehow planned this, but she will know I'm not quite that good.

Pretty good score...$60 seems a little on the high side, but if it works out to closer to three than 1 I think it was a good bet.
Do us all a favor, take some pics of the wood and your new-old saw....saw your posts on the other pages regarding the older Stihl....what did ya haggle him down to? $75 seems like a good price.
Good score.

Sounds like a good score!

ilikewood said:
Pretty good score...$60 seems a little on the high side

In the future they will remember him though. :)

IF I were to assume it is 2 cords, then that is $30/cord. I can't haul wood home for that rate right now if it is very far by time I borrow my friends van and trailer (I buy him gas and generally am generous there as it is a pain to his schedule for me to get it and all). So, even though this is less than ideal wood, it is certainly not a bad rate in my eyes so I'm happy. If it is 3 cords then it's down to $20/cord - not a huge difference really eh?

Now, if this has about 1/2 the BTU of 'good' hardwood like oak then I can consider I'd be happy to pay $60/cord for oak logs delivered - granted this will have 2x the work /BTU on this line of reasoning... oh, whatever! I'm happy and now I can play with my saw, spend some more quality time with my fiskars, and maybe I made some guys who generally work a lot harder than I do happy. What's not to like?

rdust said:
Sounds like a good score!

ilikewood said:
Pretty good score...$60 seems a little on the high side

In the future they will remember him though. :)

Yup, I agree...
I think I was just saying that if it works out to be a cord of poplar/log length for $60 bucks it might seem a little high....but if it means more in the future it would be worth it I guess.
Also, they might expect the same tip next time around :)......the proof is in the pudding...we need some photos to see how much is there.

Slow1 said:
IF I were to assume it is 2 cords, then that is $30/cord. I can't haul wood home for that rate right now if it is very far by time I borrow my friends van and trailer (I buy him gas and generally am generous there as it is a pain to his schedule for me to get it and all). So, even though this is less than ideal wood, it is certainly not a bad rate in my eyes so I'm happy. If it is 3 cords then it's down to $20/cord - not a huge difference really eh?

Now, if this has about 1/2 the BTU of 'good' hardwood like oak then I can consider I'd be happy to pay $60/cord for oak logs delivered - granted this will have 2x the work /BTU on this line of reasoning... oh, whatever! I'm happy and now I can play with my saw, spend some more quality time with my fiskars, and maybe I made some guys who generally work a lot harder than I do happy. What's not to like?

I think you got a good deal, and it should give you some scores the next time around. (Sometimes I don't type as well as I think)
Enjoy the new saw and splitting axe. (Just don't spend too much time outside or your wife will get mad like mine :)

Hopefully, in the process of the tip you informed them you would be willing to be a dump off site for any wood that they would normally dispose. I am sure you will get plenty more of it in the future.

yes hopefully you got their number so you can keep in touch and yes they will remember you which is a good thing

I say that you did good esp with tipping them. I would think they will remember you next time they are in the area and maybe you can start putting in requests for some of the better wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.