Mill-Pac usage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jtech1

Nov 2, 2014
US
What is the best way to use Mill-Pac to seal the inner joint on direct vent gas fireplace? Do you put bead on the male side or female side before assembly? Jam into joint after assembly? Tough to get a hand in the concentric pipe to do anything with it after assembly... especially the first 90 off the top of the unit. What are the tricks to get a good seal? I assume it is only used on the inner pipe and not the fresh air outer pipe?

I also have read conflicting info about whether it should be allowed to cure for period of time before firing up the unit, or the the Mill-Pac needs heat to cure so the unit should be run ASAP.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

What kind of pipe are you using, and what unit are you hooking it up to most of the times direct vent units are sizes so that the pipe fits together tightly enough where a sealant like mill-pac is not needed

DuraVent Pro. And, yes, DuraVent says that sealant on interior pipe is not needed UNLESS manufacturer specifies it... and in my case, the FP manufacturer says it needs to be done.

Add to this, the external vent hood slides over the inside duravent pipe... and there is no way to get a hand inside the hood to clear any excess Mill-Pac from that joint... so I guess I just put some on the male fitting and it goes wherever it goes when I assemble it. :)

DuraVent Pro. And, yes, DuraVent says that sealant on interior pipe is not needed UNLESS manufacturer specifies it... and in my case, the FP manufacturer says it needs to be done.

Add to this, the external vent hood slides over the inside duravent pipe... and there is no way to get a hand inside the hood to clear any excess Mill-Pac from that joint... so I guess I just put some on the male fitting and it goes wherever it goes when I assemble it. :)

That is how i would do it then and give it a couple of twists back and forth to help smear it a little bit.

Second question with the outside hood i would dry fit it first to make sure that it ends up where you want it to since the duravent pipe has those 3 tab/spacers to hold the inner exhaust liner centered in it.