Milling on Sunday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
basswidow said:
Does milling require a special bar and chain? (other than a long bar)? Smaller gage ?

Cutter needs to be at 10 degrees to make a smoother surface. Other than that nothing. Raker management is a little different but not much.
isnt that a special rip chain? i guess the 10 degrees would be because it cuts slower but doesn't dull as fast?

ecocavalier02 said:
smokinjay said:
basswidow said:
Does milling require a special bar and chain? (other than a long bar)? Smaller gage ?

Cutter needs to be at 10 degrees to make a smoother surface. Other than that nothing. Raker management is a little different but not much.
isnt that a special rip chain? i guess the 10 degrees would be because it cuts slower but doesn't dull as fast?

Plus 10 degrees leaves a much smoother surface than standard crosscut chain,which is normally 30 or 35 degrees.When I started in late '93 Granberg didnt have a website just that 1-800 number.A local saw shop where I bought my then new saw custom made me 2 ripping chains to the same specs as Granberg,for just over 1/2 the cost - 10 degrees,semi-chisel with every other tooth removed,ala skip chain.

ecocavalier02 said:
smokinjay said:
basswidow said:

+1 on Thistle. Nothing speical about it. Give me a grinder and about 15 min's and a 135 drive link is now a ripping chain. I would take it in smaller chunks but the idea is the same.

30 degrees to 20 then 10.

Skier76 said:
Nice work zap!

Skier76, thanks. You must be itching to get the snow skis out.

zap

This is something i've always wanted to get into, i'd love to get into to a set up for a 24inch bar, probably just mainly use it to cut some posts for outdoor pergolas and arbors, was also wondering if it would hurt you to have a saw a little under powered since your chain would be so "tame"? Husky 455 running 24inch bar, under powered for milling, would be a little under powered imo for regular felling.

Status
Not open for further replies.