Mineral oil and soapstone stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktop37

Jan 4, 2009
S. central Ks.
Hello, this season is about over. I have a Hearthstone soapstone stove, would like to know if anyone uses mineral oil on it to enhance the stone through the summer. Is there any negative effects to the stove in the fall. Thank you!

I'd think that would smoke a lot when the stove got back up to temp... but not sure. What's the smoke point of mineral oil?

Yes that is a concern. Waiting to see if anyone has screwed up their house. I'm a big fan of learning from other people's mistakes, ha!

Thanks your advice is all I need looks fine the way it is

My understanding is that it will darken the soapstone. Probably best not to do it.

I have soapstone tile on my hearth and I put mineral oil on it every summer when I clean the stove. It does darken and enhances the beauty, but would not put on a soapstone stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.