Mini Ice Age

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the govt should give a tax benefit to folks who plant trees instead of grass in their suburban yards. Also encourage dense tree plantings along all interstates....and stop the clear cutting of rural properties.....Then we should get some of our bright minds that are designing ever more sophisticated computer games to figure out how to return massive amounts of CO2 to the deep earth....

Sounds like the govt should give a tax benefit to folks who plant trees instead of grass in their suburban yards. Also encourage dense tree plantings along all interstates....and stop the clear cutting of rural properties.....Then we should get some of our bright minds that are designing ever more sophisticated computer games to figure out how to return massive amounts of CO2 to the deep earth....

Planting trees is a good plan - CO2 capture and future heating stocks;) Poking around on the issue of CO2 - this article got my attention. http://www.zeroco2.no/capture/industrial-capture-process
Concrete production is one of the highest producers of CO2 that has potential for recapture. Surprised me because it's something that I never thought about;em

The only problem I have with this concept is that it doesn't slow increasing levels over time. Storage just shifts how fast it re-enters the atmosphere and leaves a problem for future generations.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
"Grow food, not lawns" and you will reap environmental benefits on many levels.

Planting trees is a good plan - CO2 capture and future heating stocks;) Poking around on the issue of CO2 - this article got my attention. http://www.zeroco2.no/capture/industrial-capture-process
Concrete production is one of the highest producers of CO2 that has potential for recapture. Surprised me because it's something that I never thought about;em

The only problem I have with this concept is that it doesn't slow increasing levels over time. Storage just shifts how fast it re-enters the atmosphere and leaves a problem for future generations.

Yah, concrete making is a huge CO2 producer, and requires a huge amount of energy. The oceans.store and release huge amounts of CO2, which is the 'natural' engine that has driven the glacial growth and shrinkage of the ice ages over the past few million years. Seems that the formation of the Himalayan mountains is what tipped the scales for the earth to re-enter these ice ages.

Sequestering CO2 takes a lot of energy, and hence will be difficult to manage. They are building massive export terminals for coal, oil and NG here in the PNW like there is no tomorrow. As we reduce domestic energy FF consumption we are increasing exports to Asia. We are sitting on a mountain of coal, NG and new oil in the US. Money money money... and debt debt debt...

RecordEvents-21Aug13.png

The long term climate predictions and the temp data, that agree remarkably well for >100,000 years, seem to diverge since the rise of civilization. StihlHead did a great review.

I would add that there is emerging science that humans have been changing the climate (on a smaller scale) for thousands of years. Clear cutting forests for fuel, shipbuilding or agriculture has a measurable impact on the balance of gasses in the atmosphere....scientists can 'see' a rise in methane when the Chinese started the mass cultivation of rice, and spikes of CO2 when Europeans clearcut their continent, and drawdawns of CO2 when the great plagues led to a large scale regrowth of forest cover there. All fascinating stuff IMO.

Reactions: Frozen Canuck
Status
Not open for further replies.