Minimal off gassing wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevin Weis

Minister of Fire
Mar 3, 2018
Union Bridge, Md
I posted something similar awhile back but it went in the wrong direction. So I've experimented some since with various woods and found what appears to off gas the least so far giving the same air intake is Black Walnut and Mulberry. Ash seems the worse for this then Red Oak. The main difference in the wood structure that I can see is that Ash and Oak are open grain woods and I'm assuming the open grain lets the gasses escape more readily. If I get a puff back it seems it's always with the Ash/Oak not other woods. Stove is a VC Encore soon to be replaced with the new flex burn Intrepid. Just an observation. Feel free to comment or not.

Trying to sell it. Lots of interest till they find out the weight and they have to remove from house. It's on same level as outside so didn't think it would be that much of a deal breaker (no stairs). But it is a heavy beast!

I posted something similar awhile back but it went in the wrong direction. So I've experimented some since with various woods and found what appears to off gas the least so far giving the same air intake is Black Walnut and Mulberry. Ash seems the worse for this then Red Oak. The main difference in the wood structure that I can see is that Ash and Oak are open grain woods and I'm assuming the open grain lets the gasses escape more readily. If I get a puff back it seems it's always with the Ash/Oak not other woods. Stove is a VC Encore soon to be replaced with the new flex burn Intrepid. Just an observation. Feel free to comment or not.
So many variables. Even different spots on the same tree burn differently. And I'd say the most important factor, big splits off gas slower than small splits. I try to mix different stuff to mitigate.

My favorite mix this season is tulip poplar, oak, and birch. Or, maybe, that's just what I have seasoned this year.