Missing Baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
A couple of years ago when doing a spring cleanup, I inadvertently tossed the baffle for my (circa 1986) PE fireplace insert. The rec-room where the fireplace is located "cooks" usually 76 to 80 degrees once the fire has been burning for an hour or so. Should I try and replace this baffle or not? For many years we didn`t use the fireplace hardly at all, but since retiring 3 years ago, we run it about 16 hours a day. I pose the question not because of lack of heat output, but rather wood consumption and maybe a longer burn. Firebox is approx 2.25 cu.ft. Hey, can`t afford a new unit just now- :coolsmile: just bought a big screen TV, and I`m loving it.!! Yea,yea, I know "priorities".

NO ONE has an opinion on whether or not to try and replace this baffle?? Whether or not it would be benificial.? Not even the mods can help me decide? It was just a simple plate of flat steel. Useless? Or worthwhile measuring and replacing?

Tom the chimneysweeponline should be along soon. He will remember the stove and baffle. My 1985 Sierra stove benefited greatly from the baffle. It held gases in the stove longer and they ignited up at the baffle providing heat instead of flying up the chimney into the great outdoors. When I needed a replacements for it over the years my local iron works made them for me for fifty bucks.

Of course I had one for a pattern.

sonnyinbc said:
NO ONE has an opinion on whether or not to try and replace this baffle?? Whether or not it would be benificial.? Not even the mods can help me decide? It was just a simple plate of flat steel. Useless? Or worthwhile measuring and replacing?

Be patient, it's the day before Thanksgiving here in the States and many are out shopping or heading to family's gathering place.

Welcome aboard

:) Thanks brotherbart and Jim. Sorry about TG, we had ours in early Oct. and I hadn`t even considered that it will be a long weekend for most of you guys. Of course no one is going to cheat and phone in sick Friday,now are you?? lol. Again thanks for the warm welcome, THIS IS AN AWESOME FORUM!! Would be remiss if I didn`t put in a nice plug for Tom , have written to him about wood-burning at his site and he always emails me back quickly "sometimes even on weekends" does the man ever take a break?? So nice to see that he is a contributor here.

I would say yes on general principles w/o knowing that stove specifically. If it was designed to work with the baffle, you should have one in there. Not having one will almost certainly result in more smoke and creosote buildup, probably lower efficiency, meaning less heat per load of wood, and MIGHT lead to damaging the stove. PE's are reportedly super stoves when in good working order, I'd want mine to have all it's bits so as to get the most out of it and my wood.

Gooserider

I am on same page with Goose. Came with baffle, put baffle back in. Maybe they have one that will fit and is improved.
ANywys, the way I see it, baffle= more bad gases burned before going up *& out. As BB stated, the longer the gases are in, the more they burn, the more heat from them, less wood used for same amount of heat. No brainer IMO.

Did you try calling/emailing the manufacturer and see if they have spare/replacement parts?

Just a thought,
Jim

Thanks for your replies. And Jim I am going to measure and then call Pacific Energy. Lucky for me its a local call and they are within driving distance. Will let you all know how this works out.

:coolsmile: Many thanks to you guys. Went to Pacific Energy Office and got the printout for my baffle, then down the road to Duncan Iron Works, and only $20 later I have a baffle in my fireplace. What a difference, no back puff when I open the door slowly, and it looks like I`m going to get a much better burn-time. And of course more heat into the room and less up the chimney. Hats off to all you venerable folks. Enjoy Thanksgiving, and strangle a bird for me. lol

Glad it worked out for you. What a difference a baffle makes and the price was certaily right.

Again, welcome aboard and as you have already seen H dot C has great sources and ideas.

BURP,
-Jim-

Status
Not open for further replies.