Missing pieces and leaving this wood stove burning at work.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CodyR4

Jan 17, 2018
North Carolina
hi I’m 23 I just recently got my first house, my heating unit just cannot keep up when it gets below 30, yeah you heard me right 30. My father has used wood stoves as long as I can remember, actual stoves you cook and bake stuff with and regular ones with chimneys, he’s got like 10 of them it’s ridiculous, anyway, he gave me one and we hooked it up, I bought a load of wood and got it running and I was looking down the side of it between this shell that covers it and the side was red hot, like melting metal, I ran my poker across it and it was fine, still solid, after it burned out I began inspecting it and it’s missing these stone blocks, I reached in there and actually knocked one of the stones in the ash pan by accident. I work second and my girlfriend works first, I hate that she has to come home to it being cold in here so my question is do you think it’s safe for it to run if I just close the ashpan door and the airflow knob for like an hour or two, even if those stones are missing? My dad always did it but I guess I’m just paranoid cause it’s my first house and cause those stones. Ill attach pictures, the wood stove is called a Suburban. In one of the pictures I am using my metal poker and pointing directly at one of the stones. Are they replaceable?

Attachments

• 3DC7382D-5607-44BB-B675-0D936F202995.jpeg
    3DC7382D-5607-44BB-B675-0D936F202995.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 514
  • 5BE4FF5B-89D8-4E45-864F-5877B7C00383.jpeg
    5BE4FF5B-89D8-4E45-864F-5877B7C00383.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 591
  • 7E46255C-4E2F-4475-BBBB-A7CE0B6A4F4B.jpeg
    7E46255C-4E2F-4475-BBBB-A7CE0B6A4F4B.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
The firebrick is replaceable and the stove shouldn't be run without them. They can be picked up at most big hardware stores. Just measure first. A standard firebrick is 4.5" x 9" x 1.25". The cheapest place is frequently a masonry supply or some lumber yards.

The firebrick is replaceable and the stove shouldn't be run without them. They can be picked up at most big hardware stores. Just measure first. A standard firebrick is 4.5" x 9" x 1.25". The cheapest place is frequently a masonry supply or some lumber yards.

Thanks, any idea how much they usually run for? Price wise?

Depends. $2.00-$3.00 each at the cheapest. And up to $6 in some places. Call around.

That door gasket looks pretty ratty....I would replace it as well..

You might want to move all the flammable stuff away from it. What kind of floor is in that room?

You might want to move all the flammable stuff away from it. What kind of floor is in that room?

I have moved those trash bags since then, my gf cleaned out her car and just sat them there this morning. I usually keep it pretty clear of stuff. It is carpet but I have a very large sheet of metal underneath the wood stove.

I will look into that as well thanks, I really only know how to operate it, I don’t know the bits and pieces of it very well.
You don't want air leaking around that door and cause it to over fire...be safe and keep warm.

Reactions: CodyR4
Cody..one other thing..I noticed you have that stove piped through the window...what type of pipe is it connected to on the other side of that window?

Cody..one other thing..I noticed you have that stove piped through the window...what type of pipe is it connected to on the other side of that window?

My dad told me to get the black pipe but the only had the elbows in black so it’s all stainless steel I believe.

My dad told me to get the black pipe but the only had the elbows in black so it’s all stainless steel I believe.
So single wall was used all the way to your cap? Is there a clean out T? If its single wall all the way you have a creosote monster there that will be need to be cleaned often.

Is that venting system safe? even legal ?

I’m sorry, a clean out T?
Where does the pipe go that comes off of your stove? Does it go straight out and take a 90 into more pipe and then straight up? If it does you need a clean out T in place of the 90 so you can clean it properly.

Where does the pipe go that comes off of your stove? Does it go straight out and take a 90 into more pipe and then straight up? If it does you need a clean out T in place of the 90 so you can clean it properly.

Oh yeah it goes in a 90 then straight up! Okay you mean one of these?

Attachments

• 85EDA14F-F79E-4CEB-8CD6-0CAAAD00C911.jpeg
    85EDA14F-F79E-4CEB-8CD6-0CAAAD00C911.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: jetsam
@CodyR4, can you post us a picture of the pipe on the outside of the home? Thanks.

The single wall black stove pipe has a minimum clearance to combustibles of 18". If you are running the stove hot enough to get the sides to glow then you are in jeopardy of catching the window sill on fire. Honestly, your chimney is not safe or legal by code.

@CodyR4, can you post us a picture of the pipe on the outside of the home? Thanks.

The single wall black stove pipe has a minimum clearance to combustibles of 18". If you are running the stove hot enough to get the sides to glow then you are in jeopardy of catching the window sill on fire. Honestly, your chimney is not safe or legal by code.
He's right Cody,
You can see the bottom of the upper sash vinyl window is already sagging from the heat..
We don't wanna see you burn your house down, if you keep operating that thing with those conditions, that could very well happen !!

Reactions: Marshy
He's right Cody,
You can see the bottom of the upper sash vinyl window is already sagging from the heat..
We don't wanna see you burn your house down, if you keep operating that thing with those conditions, that could very well happen !!
Good catch! Nobody is trying to bust your chops Cody..but your set up is very dangerous the way it is....you and your girlfriends life is worth correcting this situation...

He's right Cody,

Well at the time it was either that or freeze so. Guess I’ll have to get it looked at.