Mo All Nighter with no fire brick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sardo_67

Sep 19, 2017
mid CT
picked up a mid mo last week with a blower to run in my basement since my wood boiler project went to chit.

the old timer i was getting it from said if you pull the fire brick out of the sides it heats better as that's how hes always ran his mega mo or whatever it was he had.

now i'm not an expert but i would guess the brick is there for a reason and removing it is a terrible idea?
or does that actually have some merit as it wold transfer heat better i think.

It's probably not good for the stove due to the increased heat transfer. You also wouldn't hold coals as long.

It will radiate more heat through the sides, however the increased temperature can warp the stove or make the side plates bulge.
Another reason for the brick is to radiate heat back into the firebox. The increased firebox temperature burns cleaner which means it burns more smoke particles in the stove, relating to less creosote formation, since creosote is smoke particles that stick to flue walls. So you get more complete combustion which burns more ash down to finer particles. It also adds mass to the stove, to help even out temperature spikes and as the fire dies, it stays warmer longer.
Always burn on an inch of ash on the bottom as well. DO NOT remove bottom bricks since the All-Nighter uses an asbestos blanket type pad under the bottom bricks.