Modern Terms Questions- secondary burn and block off plate...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yetty734

Dec 10, 2007
Central OH
hello,

1. see lots of talk about secondary burns (not the ouch kind) on here...wat are these. can anyone have them?

2. also i have a big fisher free standing stove in the basement. it goes into an exterior chimney that goes up 4 feet above a gable style ranch house roof....should i have a "block off plate". if so how do you install it and or get one...my chimney pipe doesnt go all the way up the chimney so can i have one?

thanks...this site is great!!!

happy holidays:)

ccb

SECONDARY AIR—Combustion air directed downstream of the primary combustion zone (but still in the appliance) to support the combustion of remaining combustible gases; does not directly influence the rate of primary combustion.

SECONDARY COMBUSTION—The burning of the combustible gases and smoke which are not burned in primary combustion.

SECONDARY COMBUSTION CHAMBER—The place where secondary combustion occurs.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/glossary

Block off - if you have an open fireplace like this:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate/

I'll throw it at ya a little more simplistic.

Secondary burn is a term used for stoves that have the ability to reburn the gases and particulate matter that make up the "smoke" coming off of the burning wood. It is often viewed (in the firebox) as a second set of flames at the top of the firebox. Older pre-epa stoves didn't do this (just sending the smoke up the stack). Newer stoves do this with tubes or a cat (catalytic combustor) at the top of the stove.

Craig covered the block off plate pretty well.

Hope this makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.