Moisture meter recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I don't trust moisture meter that came with my insert. Seem flimsy and very basic , pins got loose etc. Can you, guys, can recommend one of your favorites ?

The only MM I've ever used is my $10 one from HF. Without proper correction factor for a given species, they're all "ballpark" devices, so high-priced pseudo-precision, to me, is nothing to get worked up about. Mine serves mainly to help calibrate my internal MC "sensors".

Come burning season, wood stacked next the stove for a few days will be so dry, it won't matter. MM might help in choosing what to bring in. Might not.

My cheapo Harbor Freight has been working for two years now. I'm sure it's not 100% dead on balls accurate, but I don't get any creosote, so it must be working OK.

The cheapie ones work fine, just take a bit of car not to twist them when inserting. All you need is to be 'close' in your readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.