Moisture Meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great price, hope it works for you. Let us know!

Okay just curious does more money mean more accurate moisture content reading? I ordered a Lignomat Moisture Meter for over a $100.00 from Amazon last year and have read the cheaper ones can be off by 1-3% or am I wrong in my assumptions? I hope it works for you NCFord and price does not entail everything when it comes to quality.

I don't think for firewood use 1-3% off makes any differernce. I am just looking for general moisture content. I 've been heating with wood for over 10 years and never had one, so even if it does not work I will not be upset, I still don't think I would be willing to pay much more. I will post the results after I try it out. I have some samples that have been well aged and some just cut so I generally know what they are to begin with.

I have a simple 4 pin tester like that and it works fine for firewood. They are fast and accurate within 3%. They are calibrated for Doug fir at 70 deg. F.

More expensive MMs have higher accuracy and usually account for more wood species and temp/humidity variables. They are used for wood carving, cabinet making and wood floor installing, where higher moisture accuracy is important. Even more expensive accurate MMs are used in wood kilns and may have blue tooth, computer and kiln control interfaces, and fast RF scanning capability.

...Even more expensive accurate MMs are used in wood kilns and may have blue tooth, computer and kiln control interfaces, and fast RF scanning capability.

Wow, the lowly moisture meter goes hi tech!:) How in the world would Bluetooth come into play?

Wow, the lowly moisture meter goes hi tech!:) How in the world would Bluetooth come into play?

At large mill wood kilns, they use remote and mobile MMs with blue tooth to upload data wirelessly to computers and kiln controllers, and to send data on scanned wood in the lot to warehouse managers and the like. They can also download data on weather and exotic wood species specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.