Moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Farenheit 451

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
hey guys and gals, hoping to get a recommendation on a moisture meter to check the wood. I’ve seen some for $30 and some for $450...hoping I don’t need a fancy expensive one like the latter. Any suggestions?

Seems to be the General consensus. ;)

Reactions: Shifty
Cheap is fine. Use it as a relative measurement tool. The palm of your hand should be mid 30's as a base number.

Yeah, the cheap model works fine for me--it provides a general reference (pun intended). It's not a scientific study, it's about getting the wood below 20% and having a clean stack. Don't break the bank.

I have both the general one shown above and the very inexpensive Harbor Freight brand one. They both work well and the harbor freight one was 10 dollars.

Last edited:
4yr old zombie, very helpful :)

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
X8 for: IMG_2949.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.