Moisture Meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently got a MM from Harbor Freight (Item 67143) for about $11 + s/h.
Digital readout, very compact.
Mind you, this serves a wood-burner as a calibration tool, for one to fine-tune his/her wood-assessment senses. If you purchase wood, it might also be useful for Q/C of arriving shipment. (You'd have to split sample pieces to measure MC in the core of pieces.)
Anyhow, can't hurt, unless you stick yourself with the probes.

I was looking at that moisture meter yesterday. It uses 4 watch batteries. Some of the reviews said the batteries don't last that long. I have no idea.

Attachments

• 41bOFkksKAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41bOFkksKAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 359
I have no complainst about the HF MM. I am on my second year and batteries are still strong. I do not remove them either, that would expand the time between battery changes.

I have the same one Woodpile got....works good as long as you use it properly...(on freshly cut splits....etc)...haven't been using it lately....but does work well..got it on amazon....I get everything there....

GolfandWoodNut said:
I have no complainst about the HF MM. I am on my second year and batteries are still strong. I do not remove them either, that would expand the time between battery changes.

Having used mine only for a few months, I can't address battery longevity. I find that this meter serves me best as a calibration tool, providing correction for my estimates of MC for given wood. As such, I really don't use it that much, and use it less per week, sometimes just out of curiosity.

It's reassuring to test wood that's been sitting near the stove for multi-weeks, and find MC off-scale low. (I use an IR thermometer to verify that none of the wood facing the stove gets above 190 deg. F.) Ever. That wood lights and burns grrrrrrrrreat.

Status
Not open for further replies.