Moisture meters and "seasoned" wood sellers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodyJ

Dec 21, 2012
This week I bought a cord of seasoned oak firewood; delivered after dark and stacked.. The next day I called the seller to return to pick it up. It failed to burn in my wood stove even with a 1/6 piece of Duraflame log I normally used for starters. Scrap pine wood pieces added finally got it going. Two hours later the room temperature began rising. A 2"x5"x20" split was sawn in half and my $20 Ebay moisture meter stuck in the middle of the cut showed 35%. A few more splits were cut for testing. None read 20% - one read 60%. The next day, in the daylight, the many fresh cut ends with no cracking easily told the story. In a prayer meeting with the seller I find they didn't know what they were doing or even had a moisture meter yet had sold 40 cords to regular customers or others. WOW! Seems they seasoned tree logs for a year then cut rounds and split them for selling. They stand corrected. Firewood is just a sideline of their landscape business and is now suspended. I kept the wood for $100. Now I have to find out how I can fast track some in-house drying. I love my moisture meter and good heat.

That's typical around here too, they think once they cut the tree its drying and split to order. I've seen ads for seasoned firewood and its in log form :confused:

That's typical around here too, they think once they cut the tree its drying and split to order. I've seen ads for seasoned firewood and its in log form :confused:

Common out here too. I think it's left over from the smoke dragon days as my dad still does it with his giant Scrader and once the fire is going it burns just fine with lots of heat. I tried it that way the first year with my vista and it sucked!

I'm sure it was seasoned, but for how long... a week? When buying seasoned wood it's a good idea to take a few random splits off the truck before it's dumped and test right there.

Did the fellow actually come and pick up the load and reimburse the cost?

A cord of green oak for $100 is a sweet deal! Can you get more wood at that price?
Sorry you had to go through the whole "seasoned" thing. Do you have room to stack a few more cords to dry? It's probably prime wood in a few years!

Reactions: SpaceBus
gotta ask what kind of seasoning-

It's pretty easy to tell seasoning just with eyes. Wood that was cut three months ago does not look like wood stacked for two years.

I've only cut dead branches. But I've split and stacked a lot, bought a lot, and re-stacked and rearranged each year. It can all be done with the eyes and hands. The hands tell you the log is lighter -- a piece of firewood loses water weight over time. A moisture meter doesn't hurt, but I've never guessed wrong on even one stick of wood. You can tell when they're ready.

I'm not sure I've seen any "seasoned" firewood for sale that was stacked for more than three months. If I wanted to burn something right away, I'd ask, "How long has this been stacked at your place?" But I'd be very surprised to hear "two years."

The general assumption is that the seller cut it some time this year, and needs to sell it to have space to cut and stack more. It's not way different than cutting and splitting your own -- just about everyone tries to plan three years ahead.

Jokes on you if you think you can buy seasoned wood. I would say you made out pretty good getting a cord of wood for $100. Stack it somewhere and burn it next winter. They only way your gonna buy seasoned wood right now is if its kiln dried, and for the money that costs it would be cheaper to turn on the heat.

Personally I'd never buy oak expecting it to be actually seasoned, not to mention almost any other kind of wood. It's one of the slower drying woods, and no dealer is going to hold onto it long enough to properly season. I hardly blame a dealer for this, it just is what it is, and a lot of people don't even know the difference (dealers included).

I've bought from one dealer only, two face cords total just to get by last winter. He claims to leave in log form for a year, then split and throw in a pile for another year which is under cover and on pavement. Then he stacks in face cords and sells from there. For my area, I don't think it gets much better than that. Much of what he has also seemed to be wood that was standing dead. It's not what I would call prime seasoned wood but as far as dealers go, it's good.

Seasoned is not a word. If they use it find another supplier or be prepared to horde for a few years to dry it yourself.

If I were in your situation, I would buy as many $100 cords of that green oak as he'll sell me, and stack it to burn over the next 2-3 years. Then fire up your gas furnace for this year.

Reactions: MAD MARK and ZZ Tom