Moldy wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all i was moving some splits my basement rack by my insert when i noticed the end of one had black spots on it and i think its mold. Its that ok to burn /store untill its burnt in my house

Reactions: patrickk222
As long as it is dry (under 20% moisture content) I wouldn't worry about it. During really wet years I've even eaten mushrooms that were growing on my stacks. The wood dried out, but was significantly lighter, and I burned it.

I just didnt know about bringing it in the house. It made me nervous putting mold in my house. Lol wasnt sure what others do

Reactions: Rob_Red
Last year I had a bunch of black walnut that got moldy on the ends. No problem burning it... we just tried to bring it in and then straight in the stove.

Reactions: all night moe
As the others said. If it's dry, burn it. I would minimize the time in your house. Better safe than sorry with mold, allergies etc.

Reactions: all night moe
In my case I'd prop it right against the house, under the soffit, and pop it into a hot fire some day.

I do remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that people who heated with wood did have higher levels of mold in their houses. I wish I could find the article because there are a ton of factors to be considered. Generally speaking though, every house has some mold content, which is not a big deal as long as the mold does not have a substrate and moisture. So it wouldn't be a great idea to throw a cord of moldy wood in a damp basement. A rack of wood sitting in reasonable proximity to a wood stove--no worries. I have about a weeks worth of wood on a rack in the basement near the stove. I've not had any mold problems. Occasionally a couple bugs thaw out and I'll have a moth flying around my house in January. Keeps the cats entertained.

The mold can grow before it's dry. And then you'd see it when you get it to burn..

During really wet years I've even eaten mushrooms that were growing on my stacks....

I never thought of eating mushrooms growing on wood. I like mushrooms, I recall 50+ years ago my grandfather was able to identify edible mushrooms growing from the ground. Is it safe to assume mushrooms that grow on trees are not toxic?

I'm sure I've burnt some wood with mold on it. Seemed fine, didn't notice anything different when it was burning.

I never thought of eating mushrooms growing on wood. I like mushrooms, I recall 50+ years ago my grandfather was able to identify edible mushrooms growing from the ground. Is it safe to assume mushrooms that grow on trees are not toxic?

I'm sure I've burnt some wood with mold on it. Seemed fine, didn't notice anything different when it was burning.
Unfortunately, there are no good "rules of thumb" when it comes to shrooms. Positive ID is the only way to go. There is, however, some that are close to fool proof: Lion's Mane, Chicken Mushroom, Hen of the Woods, Oyster, Morels, Puff Balls (not really worth eating in my opinion), Shaggy Mane, and Chanterelles are all good places to start. I got a couple books and go on walks with a local mushroom club. Some mushrooms are deadly or close to it, so knowledge tempered with caution is the key.

Yea I figured just because it grows on wood wouldn't necessarily mean it's safe to eat. Interesting how some (probably most) mushrooms grow from the ground, but some from wood.

I never would have thought something from my wood stack could (potentially) be edible.

Heres the spots i think are mold

20211128_194704.jpg 20211128_194651.jpg

I wouldn’t worry, I’m burning some cherry that has dried lichen, fungus and moss on it. It was laying dead cherry I had harvested. Mold will only survive where there is significant moisture moisture.

Reactions: Prof and stoveliker
Hello all i was moving some splits my basement rack by my insert when i noticed the end of one had black spots on it and i think its mold. Its that ok to burn /store untill its burnt in my house
id say its completelpy fine to burn and store i have quite a few pieces of wood with a little mold on it and they seem to burn just fine ...... and 2 with the wood im fixin to burn i usually lean it up on my stove to get it a little drier i got a ussc 1557 m hotblast furnace

Our shed stored, well dried wood that I am burning this year has black mold on some pieces. It seem that there is more of it on the small amount of oak I have. That may make sense as it is slower to dry than the maple and yellow birch. I leave space between rows but may need to add louvers on the gables of the three sided shed. I’m mostly bringing the molded wood from the enclosed porch to the stove. That may be over cautious as the amount of mold seems small and as was previously said it does stay pretty dry inside.

Reactions: patrickk222