Monster Scrounge (pic heavy)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a scrounge like this at a buddy's house. Got 5 loads out and didn't even make a dent yet. I have been splitting there and just stacking as soon as i get home.

TOYS! You'll enjoy using the maul/fiskars here and there as a change from the splitter me thinks.

I think your right, change of pace is always good. Like when splitting on the splitter I start to get bored and complacent which is not good, so I will fire up the saw for a couple minutes or do some stacking to mix thing up

Nice score! As said those big rounds will split very easily with a maul. I use a Fiskars X27, but just about any maul will make quick work of large, straight, green Red oak rounds. A maul is MUCH faster and quieter than noodling too. Enjoy! Lots of heat in fall 2015.

Bout time for a pic of what CSS again.
You've made the stacks grow, what seems like daily .
Must be many cords of CSS wood seasoning now.
A very good thing :)

Reactions: ScotO
ya def 2 years up now, will be close to 4 years up after this score lol. Stacks haven't gotten bigger because im too busy picking up scrounges lol, no time to split and stack yet

ya def 2 years up now, will be close to 4 years up after this score lol. Stacks haven't gotten bigger because im too busy picking up scrounges lol, no time to split and stack yet

Gotta make hay while the sun's shining ;)

cool, will split it soon

What you guys think about a 8lb truper maul, 5lb wedge and fiskars x27 axe for $100? Good deal or no?

I like a 6 lb splitting maul and also if using a sledge I like the 6 lb. Steel wedges you should have 3 but 2 can do the trick especially with the wood you have there. As for the Fiskars x27, I tried one and found it to be lacking by a lot! I would not waste any dollars on it although there are many on this forum who swear by it. I've split wood for over 50 years so am a bit aware of splitting techniques and I still say that I was sadly disappointed with that Fiskars. Get a good splitting maul and go to work.

Great find too!

Noodled a lot of this today. Even in half this oak is killing me!

Can't wait for my maul and ax to go to town on this stuff

IMG_20130501_184855_769_zpseb4894f6.jpg

Nice score. There is so much all over the place from Sandy, it's hard to keep up.

excellent score! You'll be sittin' pretty in the Firewood Hoarder's Club after this one.....guaranteed!

Hows about a couple pics of your stacks, description of content, how many cord you possess, and a sworn oath to scrounge as much as you can (when time, storage space, and conditions allow).

Oh, and the wood HAS to be split and stacked........wounds or logs laying around don't count UNTIL they are processed! ;)

Hows about a couple pics of your stacks, description of content, how many cord you possess, and a sworn oath to scrounge as much as you can (when time, storage space, and conditions allow).

Oh, and the wood HAS to be split and stacked........wounds or logs laying around don't count UNTIL they are processed! ;)

Ok will have take pics when I get home then...I don't have any rounds at the house except for a couple that I use as chopping blocks...been doing most of the splitting where I get the wood from

Ok will have take pics when I get home then...I don't have any rounds at the house except for a couple that I use as chopping blocks...been doing most of the splitting where I get the wood from
Okay, brother. Put your pics in the link below for the rest of the club to envy! Go to the first post of the thread to see what status you are in relation to how many cords you have, and if you want, put it in your signature!

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/firewood-hoarders-club-ltd.52839/

toys came in today! gonna go break em in after work today at this scrounge

IMG_20130507_144431_147_zpse468b502.jpg

will def get some pics lol

maul and fiskars at work, im done with this scrounge. So much more wood left but its all cut at 20-24 and no use for me

IMG_20130507_164820_750_zps5f794478.jpg

IMG_20130507_164808_821_zps9c674a49.jpg

I take it you don't want to cut the longer rounds down to size?

Would be just too much work, I've already cut down a lot of rounds there, that and hauling them uphill to my truck. Too much easier stuff for free out there right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.