More Blow Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Picture 2797 looks like a sugar maple, 2799-1 is ironwood and 2804 is a cherry on the side of the hill with a pine across the base.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2797.jpg
    100_2797.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 285
  • 100_2799-1.jpg
    100_2799-1.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 100_2804.jpg
    100_2804.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 309
Dang Zap... I always look at your pictures and man toys and think.... can I go play in his yard? LOL

Got Wood said:
Dang Zap... I always look at your pictures and man toys and think.... can I go play in his yard? LOL

Its like a Paradise.

Got Wood & Mecreature,

We lived in a small town on top of each other before we moved here so we enjoy the woods and what it offers.

Zap

Zap, we tried living in a small town one time and it about drove us crazy. We only lasted about 6 weeks. I like being in the woods with the animals as neighbors.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, we tried living in a small town one time and it about drove us crazy. We only lasted about 6 weeks. I like being in the woods with the animals as neighbors.

The animals are easier to get along with than neighbors

Backwoods Savage said:

Speaking of animals, when I came back from the ride in the woods yesterday I decided to let the cat out and check on a few things around the house and thats when this deer kept coming at us, the deer stopped so everything is ok!

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2807.jpg
    100_2807.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 224
Zap,
Im jealous. Your property, "neighbors", stacks...

one day maybe Ill find my own little slice of "no where", but for now the wife likes living in the "city" with neighbors we either complain about or never talk to...

Remmy122 said:
Zap,
Im jealous. Your property, "neighbors", stacks...

one day maybe Ill find my own little slice of "no where", but for now the wife likes living in the "city" with neighbors we either complain about or never talk to...

The town we live in was always the place we went to camp in the summer and it's the last place I thought we would end up living (glad we did) and the land we lucked out on, very glad we did.

How close are you to Raleigh?

Zap

First photo looks like it could be Soft Maple.

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Speaking of animals, when I came back from the ride in the woods yesterday I decided to let the cat out and check on a few things around the house and thats when this deer kept coming at us, the deer stopped so everything is ok!

Zap

Zap, that is a sign of two possibilities. First is food. When food gets scarce they get aggressive. One year we had several in the yard about 20 feet from the house and the dominant doe kept the rest at bay. A buck came in and she flailed her front feet at him and tore a huge patch of hide from his neck. Sort of felt sorry for the animal but we saw him several times after that and he was okay.

The other possibility is that it is getting close to fawning time. They will first kick out the young that have been with her since the last birthing season. They may do this for a couple weeks before they drop this year's fawns.

The next time you have that happen, do a head bob looking right at them and see what happens.

Looks like easy pickens ZAP. We have alot of deer here too, they are pretty animals, but of course they can eat everything in sight too. We kind of have the best of both worlds here, plenty of land but close to the big city for all it has to offer (Penquin game on right now). I do not enjoy the taxes. I just found a place with alot of acreage on a montain going up for auction in the middle of the state that I may take a shot at. I love land and I think it is a great investment if you buy it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.