More chimney questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Hello again, I've been having draft and creosote problems for some time. I cleaned my 8x8 flue the other day and found that the thimble is only 8ft from the cap. When people are recommending minimum chimney heights, are they refering to overall height of the chimney or the distance from the inlet to the cap?

The draft problem may be related to the creosote problem. What is the connecting flue system length from stove to thimble? Are there any elbows or horizontal runs?

The creosote issue could be due to burning wood that is not fully seasoned. Other factors might be burning too cool + and exterior chimney.

What's the diameter of the stove collar? Thimble (wall thimble?)...does that mean you've got 2 90-degree turns in the flowpath? I take it the 8" x 8" chimney flue is unlined...? Seems to me that a draft problem might go hand in hand with a creosote problem. If the flue gases are rising lazily through a relatively large, unlined, uninsulated exterior chimney flue, then they have more than ample opportunity to cool down past the point of condensing out the crud-laden moisture before exhausting to daylight. Rick

My chimney is a lined 8x8 interior chimney. I just added 3 ft to the chimney height yesterday to get it 2 ft over the ridge, and it does draft better now but not great. there is 3ft of stovepipe to the thimble with a 90 in the pipe and of course the thimble is 90 as it is cemented into the flue. I have always run seasoned wood with a pipe temp of 300-500 degrees.

Is the interior pipe double-wall? If you can soften the 90 by replacing them with a couple 45's that may help. If not, be sure the connector between the elbow and the thimble is pitched uphill.

Just curious, what are the outside temps in your area now?

I understand the masonry flue is clay-lined...I was wondering whether or not you were running a 6" stainless liner all the way up, which would be ideal. But dumping a 6" stovepipe into an 8" x 8" interior masonry chimney is within the guidelines of NFA 211. If there's anything at all you can do to reduce restriction of flow by reconfiguring the connector pipe from the stove to the thimble, it might help. Have you looked at all at the combustion air supply side of the equation? Any reason to believe the stove is starving for air? (Just now noticed your sig...I have an '02 FXSTD). Rick

The temps outside are getting into the low 40's now. I was planing on installing the liner because I've found some cracks in the clay, and because It should increase draft. I have an OAK installed. Definately is drafting better with the extra 3', even the pipe temp is running 100 degrees more with the same primary setting. Maybe the liner will solve everything.
Yes fossil I love my wideglide, thinking about stepping up to a grampy bike, electraglide or roadking. Gets quite cold on the old wg without a fairing.

Full 6" liner should make a noticeable difference. I'm a real weather wimp, no windshield on the Deuce, so my riding season's not real long here in Oregon...but when the weather's right, I still love to wring it out a bit. Ride safe! Rick

Baggers & Windshields are for old turds ;)

Hogwildz said:
Baggers & Windshields are for old turds ;)

Well, I have neither, so although I'm certainly getting older, I guess I haven't turned into a turd...yet. 8-/ Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.