More Free Locust!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both trees burn with a similar BTU output.

Are there other obvious similarities? I only have black locust, and I've wondered why they share part of their common names since they're not closely related.

Both trees have frond-like leaf clusters, both trees have thorns (the honey locusts I cut had some 6 and 7" thorns, I have scars to prove it!), other than that, I'm not sure! Never really looked into it......

I just know that both honey and black locust are awesome in the stove......

Reactions: chvymn99
I understand that......just making a comparison.
Both trees burn with a similar BTU output. I have around 7 cord of honey locust and around 7 cord of black locust in the stacks....
14 cords???? You ain't setting pretty in the BTU field, arent you? I'm starting to accumulate more honey locust. Love the smell and the color of that wood.

Reactions: ScotO
I love it when its been laying down 5 years and the bark is off.
Great burning wood. No bark to mess with.

BL is good stuff. It will burn in one year, but is much better 2+ years. Still faster to dry than Red Oak and seems make a bit more heat for me too. The bark in the picture does look a little thin for BL to me. I usually see it looking like this.
DSC06760.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.