Morso 1410 Squirrel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nortcan

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec
Hi all, supposed to find a Tribute used or new but seems to be very hard to find one and very long. So we decided to go for a Morso Squirrel 1410. Almost a toy, 12 inches long logs but the stove is cute. The small living room is small so the mini stove will be fine there. The Castleton was very too much a stove, so the Squirrel takes the place. I pickup the stove this PM and I will instal it very soon. Back with some photos and comments.

Reactions: tabner and MR. GLO
If you cut your wood 11" it will fit N/S and burn much better. Three 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" splits of good dry hardwood on a small bed of hot coals will give you a warm stove and enough coals to reload after six hours. It's more like carpentry than regular splitting but worth the effort.

Reactions: MR. GLO
I love the Squirrel stoves! We have a 2b Classic heating a smaller house. I agree with @Squirrel you will really want to be picky on firewood dimensions. N/S loading should give you the best burn times in your 1410 and you can load it all the way to the baffle that way. On the bright side 11" firewood will be easy to store.

If you cut your wood 11" it will fit N/S and burn much better. Three 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" splits of good dry hardwood on a small bed of hot coals will give you a warm stove and enough coals to reload after six hours. It's more like carpentry than regular splitting but worth the effort.
Thanks, do you know why it burns better N/S than E/W ? Dis you try the top/down method ? With my Heritage I love it but with the Squirrel ??????????

I love the Squirrel stoves! We have a 2b Classic heating a smaller house. I agree with @Squirrel you will really want to be picky on firewood dimensions. N/S loading should give you the best burn times in your 1410 and you can load it all the way to the baffle that way. On the bright side 11" firewood will be easy to store.
Thank you SB, hope to lite the Squirrel this week and see how it works, never had a so small wood stove excepted the GoldenBride anthracite stove having a 9.5 in. fire pot.

Thank you SB, hope to lite the Squirrel this week and see how it works, never had a so small wood stove excepted the GoldenBride anthracite stove having a 9.5 in. fire pot.

If your house is well insulated the 1410 should do a fine job. Our saltbox house is a bit less than 1200sqft on two floors and the 2b Classic heats it well, but we have R23+ walls and an R40 ceiling.

If your house is well insulated the 1410 should do a fine job. Our saltbox house is a bit less than 1200sqft on two floors and the 2b Classic heats it well, but we have R23+ walls and an R40 ceiling.
The house is very well insulated and air tight...the Heritage is in a faux foyer on the main floor and heat the entire house. There is a syst. in the basement pulling warm air from the faux foyer and send that warm air in the basement then the central air handler/furnace dispatches the air to the 3 floors. The temp is almost the same on the 3 floors, just one degre less in the basement and in the second floor. The house makes 2,100 sqt. As you can see, the Squirrel is just a once in a while heater in a small living room, mainly for an ambiance fires and small heat when the temp. is not so cold. Can't wait to try the N/S method with 11 inches **logs**. The good thing is that I have small wood for when making the top down loading.

Reactions: SpaceBus
What would the stove top temp be after 6 hours?

I have tried the top down fires without success. The top is only 6" from the bottom and the primary air is delivered downward immediately behind the glass and you need to have as much heat as possible as fast as possible and that only happens at the bottom front of the stove. I generally use three or four rolled and knotted newspaper sheets then four small sticks of kindling loosely piled E/W right at the front of the firebox followed with three or four small splits N/S with two larger splits on top. This looks like a very full firebox until the kindling has burned to coals by which time the splits should be burning. Let the fire burn fast and don't start shutting the air down until the stove top is around 500f by which time the secondary air should be coming in hot from the back of the stove. You can now control how fast the rest of the burn proceeds. It will take almost an hour for the entire stove to heat up but once the top is at 500f you should have good secondary flames. I have managed to boil enough water for a cup of coffee in 15mins from lighting a cold stove.
If you don't have dry wood use electric heat and try again next year!

The stove top temperature once the flames have stopped will vary depending on wood and weather. I was very surprised at 7:00 this morning to find the ash drawer too hot to touch as I had loaded the stove at 10:30 last night. I think 3 oak logs (not sure it was oak) no wind overnight and just -10c had a lot to do with that. I was able to get it fired up from coals.

How do you set the air knob and how do you graduate it, do you have to count the knob turns from the closed position?

I count the knob turns on my 2b Classic. There should be five turns from fully opened to fully closed, 20% for each full turn, 10% for each half turn. I generally can never close my knob more than 85% closed unless the wood is extremely dry.

Reactions: nortcan
I painted one of the "handles" on the knob white and mentally set a clock position for each turn. Full open is wherever it happens to be on your stove. One turn closed, leave the white spot at three o'clock two turns leave the spot at 6 o'clock, three turns leave it at 9 etc. That way I can see the setting from across the room. I can quite often shut my air completely in cold weather but dont really like to because then it gets too hot to touch as it's in full contact with the door.

Reactions: nortcan
OK now the Squirrel is in function. I tried the top/down method cause I love that and have never fume when liting the stoves. Shure the small fire box needs small *logs* but was a pleasure to make the first fire. The spinning air control knob is very easy to place on the good spot to control the fire and reacts very well. In fact I'm impressed from that first experience having a squirrel inside the house. Plus my wife loves that new baby.

Attachments

• IMG_6361.JPG
    IMG_6361.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_6364.JPG
    IMG_6364.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_6367.JPG
    IMG_6367.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_6368.JPG
    IMG_6368.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 560
Sure does look pretty in your pretty house and best wishes with--that fire looks wonderful as well...Good for you and your family..clancey

Morso makes some of the best looking cast iron stoves.

Sure does look pretty in your pretty house and best wishes with--that fire looks wonderful as well...Good for you and your family..clancey
Thanks clancy for those good words, nice to read positive comments in the present days. Take care.
Salutations from Québec, Canada

Morso makes some of the best looking cast iron stoves.
Yes SpaceBus you'r right, the Morso stoves have something special, many other stoves are also nice, we got some VC, Hearthstone soapstone, antique cast iron stoves... but that Morso has something the other ones didn't have. Remind me a premium music instrument having unique soul...

Reactions: SpaceBus
Yes SpaceBus you'r right, the Morso stoves have something special, many other stoves are also nice, we got some VC, Hearthstone soapstone, antique cast iron stoves... but that Morso has something the other ones didn't have. Remind me a premium music instrument having unique soul...
When we moved into our house in fall 2018 we were disappointed that the original VC Defiant I was severely damaged. Unfortunately we didn't thoroughly inspect the stove ourselves and trusted the home inspector... It was oversized for our space anyway, so the 2b Classic fit the space perfectly and still had the cast iron magic like the VC.

When we moved into our house in fall 2018 we were disappointed that the original VC Defiant I was severely damaged. Unfortunately we didn't thoroughly inspect the stove ourselves and trusted the home inspector... It was oversized for our space anyway, so the 2b Classic fit the space perfectly and still had the cast iron magic like the VC.
I didn't remember the 2B-Classic look but just look at it in Morsos catalog we got with the stove. It's a very nice and original stove. Is there a special use for the (I dont know the name for that) upper part over the top of the stove?

Looks good. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
Well, hard to answer to that but for the first fire, we got very surprised and impressed on how the stove reacted to a so small break in fire. The fire was small but the stove still not touchable and the small fire is dead since a few hours. The small living room is North has a sliding door and many windows, so having the Squirrel in there should be a gain for the look but also for the confort.

Very good, and the cats seem to love the stove, they look to be twin. Thanks

His 2b Standard is the slightly smaller twin to my 2b Classic. The top part is a heat exchanger that the flue gasses pass through. The 2b Classic and Standard are very close in output rating, so I don't know that it makes a huge difference.