Morso 1410 Squirrel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
His 2b Standard is the slightly smaller twin to my 2b Classic. The top part is a heat exchanger that the flue gasses pass through. The 2b Classic and Standard are very close in output rating, so I don't know that it makes a huge difference.
For the twin I was talking about the cats...LOL.
For the top heat exchanger, is it fixed to the stoves top or just sitting on the stove ?

Hi all, second day and second small fire. The Squirrel is surpassing what we were expecting from a so small stove. Very easy to start a top/down fire, very easy to maintain the burn rate, the heat stay quite long after the fire is out, not as long as with a soapstone but enough for the small place. The paint is cured and all is OK. We built the house 33 y ago and the Squirrel is the 13* stove to come in the house, all that to say that the Squirrel is not our first stove but for now it's a winner : ** Bigger is not always better!**

For the twin I was talking about the cats...LOL.
For the top heat exchanger, is it fixed to the stoves top or just sitting on the stove ?
It is integrated to the "top" of the stove. These Morso stoves are put together with gaskets and the top part won't come off unless I want it too. The stove rode almost two hours in the bed of my truck and not a single issue.

Reactions: nortcan
I have tried the top down fires without success. The top is only 6" from the bottom and the primary air is delivered downward immediately behind the glass and you need to have as much heat as possible as fast as possible and that only happens at the bottom front of the stove.
Top-down lighting is not the best for cigar-burner, box stoves. Your method is similar to the way I start the F602.

Reactions: SpaceBus
View attachment 275887You have a nice set up! I've had the Standard for over a year. Supplemental heat. Very satisfied.
Aw, another twin tuxie household. Our old boy no longer hangs out by the stove, but the younger one sure loves it.

Back again with about the same to say. Fourt fire and still amazed by the Morso Squirrel, So easy to get it going no down draft, no smoke spilling inside the house and no smoke at the chimneys top, it really burns the gases very well, in fact a pleasure to use it. Sure it's not a big house heater but for a small house or a small place like mine it's more than perfect, I hope to say the same in a few more years...but Morso has a well reputation around the planet.

Reactions: Todd and SpaceBus
For fun, I let the Heritage sleep for the day yesterday. So the Squirrel had to keep the entire 3 floors warm. With an outside temp. of -17* C or (1.4*F), the challenge was quite big for a not big stove like the Squirrel. But it was amazing to get the first floor at 22*C (71.6*F), and the basement and the second floor at 20*C (68*F). The all the houses air systems and the house insulation helped to spread the heat but the heat comes just from the Morso stove. I could get 4 hrs from a 3/4 load, I was not prepared for a so small combustion chamber so I didn't have the long and big 10 inches long logs. But this PM we go to Trois-Rivieres Home Dépot and have a look ( we all know what means *have a look*) at the Milwaukee M12 small 6 inches chain saw. I have many batteries for Wilwaukee so we can buy the tool only, that way I will be able to cut the wood the good length. I tried with the Sawall with a special pruning blade but not for me...

For fun, I let the Heritage sleep for the day yesterday. So the Squirrel had to keep the entire 3 floors warm. With an outside temp. of -17* C or (1.4*F), the challenge was quite big for a not big stove like the Squirrel. But it was amazing to get the first floor at 22*C (71.6*F), and the basement and the second floor at 20*C (68*F). The all the houses air systems and the house insulation helped to spread the heat but the heat comes just from the Morso stove. I could get 4 hrs from a 3/4 load, I was not prepared for a so small combustion chamber so I didn't have the long and big 10 inches long logs. But this PM we go to Trois-Rivieres Home Dépot and have a look ( we all know what means *have a look*) at the Milwaukee M12 small 6 inches chain saw. I have many batteries for Wilwaukee so we can buy the tool only, that way I will be able to cut the wood the good length. I tried with the Sawall with a special pruning blade but not for me...
What was you reload stove top temps after 4 hours yesterday? These stoves are tough to find.

What was you reload stove top temps after 4 hours yesterday? These stoves are tough to find.

[/QUOTE My thermometer is on the bottom of the stove pipe about 3 inches h (I ordered a thermometer with a probe cause the pipe is double wall, but not long enough for the lower stove outlet, so I have 4 inches of single wall to put the magnetic thermometer on it) , and the temp was 200*F, I just put smaller pieces plus some bigger ( we talk about not usual sizes) pieces of wood and the fire went on, had enough coal left to ignite the wood. Someone on the present thread told that he gets 6 hrs with his Morso stove. I think that I probably can do it when I will have the good wood size...and I'm still on the learnig curve.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Well Nortcan I just bought a Morso1410 (squirrel) and it will be here in a few weeks and am I glad that decision is over with and I cannot wait to put my hand on it and pat it for luck...lol My carpenter will pick it up and it weighs 160 pounds and I love the looks of it so even in measurements and a beautiful little window...I keep everybody posted on the other thread and right now I have some prices on there..Thanks for your help and experience telling us about your little stove...clancey

MR. GLO, my Englis is what it is ( not easy to write in English what is in French in my brain), I send a photo ( in my case, a photo worth much more than a thousand words...) showing the temporary place where I put the magnetic thermometer, just lower than the double wall stove pipe, I will put a mechanic collar to secure the installation between the stoves exit and the double wall stove pipe. Then I will place the new thermometer having a probe 8 inches from the top of the stove.
Now for tonight the Squirrel is the only heat source for the entire house. Curious how that small Squirrel can do that alone : no central heat pump, no electric furnace, no Heritage stove, just the Squirrel.

Attachments

• IMG_6369.JPG
    IMG_6369.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 189
very nice...i would also add a stove top thermometer and make sure you have ultra low co meter.

Assuming morso would set the max temp at the stove top like jotul.

cant wait to hear how it handles.

Im burning in the basement and I downsized recently from rangeley to F118 cb and im more comfortable at 71 degrees instead of 75/78 at night but now with F118 cb I get cold at 67/66 degrees around 4 am with my last load at 1130 pm or so. and it was onlybin the 20's ....The f118 burn time is much shorter but I save on wood.

My Rangeley kept me warm all the way to 8 am ...

Still trying to decide which one to keep.

Then I will place the new thermometer having a probe 8 inches from the top of the stove.
18-24" is what is recommended for a probe thermometer.

Honestly Morso doesn't usually state a stovetop temperature to aim for. I don't use any kind of stove top thermo and rely on my pipe thermo. The manual for my 2b Classic stated 8" up the stove pipe is the appropriate position.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Honestly Morso doesn't usually state a stovetop temperature to aim for. I don't use any kind of stove top thermo and rely on my pipe thermo. The manual for my 2b Classic stated 8" up the stove pipe is the appropriate position.
I will not use a stovetop thermometer, But someone asked me the temperature on the top of the stove after 4 hrs of burn time so I just wanted to be honest of the real numbers and be shure of what I was saying, that is the reason for what I placed the thermometer on the top of the stove . For the 2 last fires, after 5 hrs of burn time the stoves top was at 200*F, so I'm very satistied of the Squirrel job. Much more than expected. Just have to remember the air knob adjustment, first time I have a spinning knob for the primary air control, anyways I still have a lot of years ahead to learn that I'm just 70...

The manual for my 2b Classic stated 8" up the stove pipe is the appropriate position.
For a surface thermometer, right? And that is for when there is no stovepipe damper. Nortcan is talking about a probe thermometer. Let the thermometer manufacturer's recommendation be your guide.

18-24" is what is recommended for a probe thermometer.
For a surface thermometer, right? And that is for when there is no stovepipe damper. Nortcan is talking about a probe thermometer. Let the thermometer manufacturer's recommendation be your guide.
For normal firing, Morso says :**....flue temperature in the stove pipe, at 20 cm (8 inches) above the stove ....** but I will have a look at the probe stove thermometer manufacturer's recomendation, but maybe for a so small stove the recommendations differ?

For normal firing, Morso says :**....flue temperature in the stove pipe, at 20 cm (8 inches) above the stove ....** but I will have a look at the probe stove thermometer manufacturer's recomendation, but maybe for a so small stove the recommendations differ?
Maybe. Then again, it could just be a typo. They happen. I ran the F602 with the surface thermometer at about 18" above the stove. It worked well enough to quickly show the effect of the stovepipe damper being closed.

Maybe. Then again, it could just be a typo. They happen. I ran the F602 with the surface thermometer at about 18" above the stove. It worked well enough to quickly show the effect of the stovepipe damper being closed.
I don't know for the F602 but the Squirrel has very rapid heat changments but my thermometer is not at the right place actually. Anyway the probe thermometer will arrive next week and then I will see ...

Attachments

• IMG_6369.JPG
    IMG_6369.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 184
Having to make special wood cuttings, I pulled the trigger for the Milwaukee M12-6 inches blade. Not the one for cutting West coast firs but the one for my undersized **logs**. Most of the chips fall down under the handle and don't fill all the place, easy and safe to work with that small pruning chain saw.

Attachments

• IMG_6370.JPG
    IMG_6370.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_6371.JPG
    IMG_6371.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 183
It's for either on my stove, I'm sure the 1410 has a different specified location, and of course the manual doesn't talk about a damper.

Having to make special wood cuttings, I pulled the trigger for the Milwaukee M12-6 inches blade. Not the one for cutting West coast firs but the one for my undersized **logs**. Most of the chips fall down under the handle and don't fill all the place, easy and safe to work with that small pruning chain saw.

I've been thinking about snagging something like that since I have a pile of Dewalt 20v batteries.

SpaceBus, I don't know for the Dewalt, but the Milwaukee is doing a good job for the small wood, Milwaukee says good for max. 3 inches branches, having a 6 inches bar, I suppose it can go a little more than 3 inches. ..., anyway for the Squirrel 3 inches could be OK ? What size of wood do you use in your Squirrel and do you use the wood round or splitted?

It's for either on my stove, I'm sure the 1410 has a different specified location, and of course the manual doesn't talk about a damper.
The 2b has the same text in the manual, only for surface mount magnetic.

The 2b has the same text in the manual, only for surface mount magnetic.
Could you please explain to me what you mean by : **only for surface mount magnetic.** Morso writes : ** under normal firing, the average temperature in the stove pipe, measured 8 inches above the stove is approx. 550*F.....** So if using a double wall stove pipe you must use a probe themometer to know the temperature inside the stove pipe, Well that is what I supposed...