Morso 1600 smoke problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

princessmonsta

May 20, 2020
Perth
I have a maybe 20 year old Morso 1600. I bought it secondhand some months ago. When the fire is well burning with some Jarrah logs (I'm in Western Australia and this is the best wood), I open the door and smoke comes out. Is this normal? It drives me nuts. I had a Jotul 3 before and never had this problem. I've attached three photos. the inside bits all look okay. it has bricks inside too. do i need new bricks or something? The flu has soot in it as I burnt some painted jarrah from a pergola. Any advice please?

Attachments

• IMG_5838.jpg
    IMG_5838.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_5839.jpg
    IMG_5839.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_5834.jpg
    IMG_5834.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 189
looks like your wood isn't dry enough or you are burning to cool. i don't see a thermometer on the stove. you should have one your stove looks small and the manual says it will only burn for up to 90 minutes if you are trying to get longer burn times and running it to cool it could be starting to clog the chimney at the very least

Agreed. The smoke rollout and creosote buildup in the pipe is not good and a sign of wet wood.