Most favorite least favorite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bigg_Redd said:
Favorite = Madrona

Least favorite = Cottonwood

x2

I like Dogwood, too. Cottonwood's not all bad, just the last on the list.

dlastt said:
Favorite = Free. Least Favorite = Wet.

I can second that one!

But looking at the question in a more traditional way...

Favorites: Hickory (fun to split - but only did some seasoned rounds, love the sound it made, and it burns so nice); Oak

Least: Whatever that stringy stuff was I picked up on the curb (I think it was some sort of willow) thank goodness there wasn't more of it or I might have seriously considered returning it to the curb. Anything that goes "Splat" when I hit it.

Love; Hickory, Red & White Oak

No love; White/Yellow Pine

My favorite is whatever is in my woodpile and ready to burn.

There are some junk in our woods that we just cut around or cut down; popple, willow and cottonwood for example. We don't need it so why mess with it?

Most Favourite: Bottle Brush (yeah, not much wood there, but burns well, smells great, and splits nice (when big enough to split).

Most AND Least Favourite: Eukie (eucalyptus) ... great to burn, h*ll to split.

Gawd Awful, won't take it: Some non-native ornamental, don't know what it's called, but it smell like insecticide. Not like it was sprayed with insecticide, but like the wood was impregnated w/ insecticide. It was the most awful smelling wood I've ever enountered. I don't know why, but I actually loaded it in the truck, took it home and stacked it before I realized the smell was not just passing. I stacked it on the curb in front of my house w/ a FREE sign on it and some fool took it.

Peace,
- Sequoia

The selection I've had the last 8 years living here in CT..........in order of preference

Pignut & Shagbark Hickory
White Oak
Sugar Maple
Black Birch
Pin Oak
Red Oak
White Ash
Copper Beech
Black Cherry
SweetGum
Silver Maple
Elm
Red Maple (Balsam Swamp Wood)
Hemlock

WoodButcher

Favorite - Black locust

Least favorite - Box Elder

Favorite: Elm (because you gotta dance with the one that brung ya. In other words, it's mostly what I got until 2011/12<G>). Real favorites, locust, oak and hickory

Least: Cottonwood. Especially my neighbor's which is perpetually dropping stuff on my house, in my gutters and on my yard!

Favorites= FREE White & Red oak, Maple, White ash, Pine, Black walnut

Least favorite= Not free

I've never paid for firewood so I don't know how well not free firewood burns.

Also, I hate cottonwood so much that I wouldn't take it if some offered to cut, split, and deliver it for free.

Black locust, White ash, Hickory, Apple, Sugar Maple. Highest btu's/ least seasoning times

Most = tamarack
Least = cottonwood (soaks you when you split it and makes lots of ash when you burn it)

The name of my neighboorhood is Oakdale Manor for good reason. I have a couple Cherry, Hickory and Ash trees but 90% is Red/White Oak and some kind of soft maple, (silver?). My favorite to burn is good dry Oak. My least favorite, wet oak. It takes forever to get hot, sizzles and stinks. The inside pipe was installed upside down on my old stove and creosote used to drip down the sides, lovely. Maple is in the middle. It seasons very fast which was great because it showed me what seasoned wood was but it doesn't last nearly as long. When I got low on maple last winter I threw some questionable red oak on the fire. After it sizzled for half and hour before producing any real heat I reserved the stove for when I had company over. I paid the oil man and will never burn wet again!

TreePapa said:
Most Favourite: Bottle Brush (yeah, not much wood there, but burns well, smells great, and splits nice (when big enough to split).

Most AND Least Favourite: Eukie (eucalyptus) ... great to burn, h*ll to split.

Gawd Awful, won't take it: Some non-native ornamental, don't know what it's called, but it smell like insecticide. Not like it was sprayed with insecticide, but like the wood was impregnated w/ insecticide. It was the most awful smelling wood I've ever enountered. I don't know why, but I actually loaded it in the truck, took it home and stacked it before I realized the smell was not just passing. I stacked it on the curb in front of my house w/ a FREE sign on it and some fool took it.

Peace,
- Sequoia

What is BottleBrush?

Werm said:
What is BottleBrush?

See here:

http://floridagardener.com/pom/Callistemon.htm

and here:

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/DENDROLOGY/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=468

Most of the websites list it as 10 to 12 ft., but I've seen specimens here in So. Calif. up to 20 ft.

As I said, it does not yield a whole bunch of wood, and I'd never cut one down just for firewood (they're too purty), but it has a nice spicey smell when burned, burns hot, and 'cuz it's so small, mostly don't need splittin', but that which does (i.e., trunk of larger trees) seems to split okay.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.