Mount TV above stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RRFire

Jan 22, 2019
New York
Howdy all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I’m building my house and searching for a stove that would allow me to hang a tv above on the wall. 9’ ceiling. 1800 sf 2 story house. Is this even possible? Open to all suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

No,I have not. Do you think this would be a good solution? Sorry, I’m pretty new to wood stoves. Thanks for the reply.

I'm sure people here may have some other options. We use a mantle shield that creates an air gap just below our mantle but I think our insert puts the hot air out farther than I thought it would. Ripping out the mantle and redoing the wall above is on the list of things to do....

I have a TV above, but I have an insert and the fan blows the heat out and away, so not really rising, and the temp underneath the mantle is room temp or even lower. As mentioned, if you can get a heat shield, a deflector or fan, or something that diverts the heat from rising into it, you should be ok.

y28k6brfagipj27h6amowanrvotmxnkkmydblwbh6wa2i5zzf-tvcwfoqt1rinqb-flib5xizcbkohj-w458-h790-no-jpg.jpg

I have a TV above, but I have an insert and the fan blows the heat out and away, so not really rising, and the temp underneath the mantle is room temp or even lower. As mentioned, if you can get a heat shield, a deflector or fan, or something that diverts the heat from rising into it, you should be ok.

View attachment 238953
Ha ha gee that's a big tv!

I never understood the allure of putting a TV above a fireplace. Sight line, heat, wiring complications, competition on which one to watch. To each his or her own I guess.

Reactions: georgepds
Running my F400 hard the bottom of the TV never got above 115. As you can see from the pic my setup isn’t perfect but could be worse. I’d get the extended warranty and a heat shield and flush mount tv to the wall. That said my father-in-law has stove 90 degrees to the side of the tv on a 34” buffet and there is always a perfect seat no matter how hot the fire is or and more important who wants the warmest seat. I would be hesitant to have a tv right above my freestanding stove.

How would you vent the stove. Some stoves like top vent better than a rear exit. Have you chosen a stove? Think about power and cable routing. I would install a power outlet near stove for eases of future upgrades or changes.

If I were to build a house I would find best place for the stove and the find the best place for the tv. Hope that is helpful

Evan
image.jpg

If it's a free standing stove won't the chimney get in the way. I have a 48 inch TV just to the right of my stove.

I'd put a heat shield or mantel that was deep enough to protect the tv (above the required clearance). I've had a couple people have their tv's shutting off, apparently overheating, while above their fireplaces or stoves.

25+ years in electronics & appliance repair, here.

I wouldn't do it. The stove greats ash, Ash settles in the vents in the TV, settles on the electronis, pcb's, etc.