Move a soapstone Tulikivi to new location?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

coloradoperson

Aug 16, 2019
Hello everyone,
I am looking at a newish Tulikivi fireplace and would like to know if anyone has any tips for dismantling and re-assembling this please. Are there any resources for this?
Thanks so much
Gillian

It may be possible. Can you contact the original installer? If not, in your area FyrePro, Ft. Collins. 970-266-8556 is the current dealer.

Is the stove in pieces or does it need to be taken apart? Is it an unused display or a used stove in someone's house? Is it in another part of the country or within a few hundred miles? What's the story behind this Tulikivi? Is it a big, medium, or a small one?

If it was a big one he'd be asking how to pour the basement full of concrete and take the roof off so the crane could get to the living room. ;lol

There was a guy a year or two back who put a junked Tulikivi back together.... .....aaaand never mind, I just found the thread and it seems you did too. I blame begreen for this...

If it was a big one he'd be asking how to pour the basement full of concrete and take the roof off so the crane could get to the living room. ;lol

There was a guy a year or two back who put a junked Tulikivi back together.... .....aaaand never mind, I just found the thread and it seems you did too. I blame begreen for this...

He says slightly used so it must be assembled. So he wants to take it apart, transport it, and reassemble. Ya, he is going to first have to examine how to put something this heavy in his house. If he has a basement he will have to pour concrete, build a block structure, or make some sort of support out of steel or timber to install it on the main floor.

I don't know if Tulikivi's are dry fit together of if they use some sort of mortar - probably they must use some sort of mortar. Maybe gently chisel the mortar between solid pieces of soapstone?

They are put together using a soapstone based mortar. I’m pretty sure it’s a proprietary product. Although I’ve not seen it done personally, I’ve been told the cement is water soluble, so they dampen the tulikivi and then wrap it in plastic wrap over night. Once the cement breaks down the stones can be removed. I’m sure it takes several days to break it down.
We have a really cool tulikivi on display in our store that I’d love to move to my house some day!

Is the stove in pieces or does it need to be taken apart? Is it an unused display or a used stove in someone's house? Is it in another part of the country or within a few hundred miles? What's the story behind this Tulikivi? Is it a big, medium, or a small one?

It's large, complete, in someone's house about an hour from where I live. It has been used but is almost new and the new house owner says it's too big. We have a hefty vehicle to move it with and two people that can construct/fix/ anything. so it needs to be taken apart...is this possible? We know we would have to reinforce the flooring. Are there any books on this?
thanks!

They are put together using a soapstone based mortar. I’m pretty sure it’s a proprietary product. Although I’ve not seen it done personally, I’ve been told the cement is water soluble, so they dampen the tulikivi and then wrap it in plastic wrap over night. Once the cement breaks down the stones can be removed. I’m sure it takes several days to break it down.
We have a really cool tulikivi on display in our store that I’d love to move to my house some day!

webby says you could dampen it, wrap in plastic, and let it sit for a while. The mortar should weaken/fall apart allowing you to pull the pieces apart. I would mark the pieces so you know how to reassemble. Obviously you are going to have to get the soapstone type of mortar. I would call the tulikivi phone number given to verify about how to take one of these things apart.

In this video they built extra support in the basement for the masonry heater (starting @ around 4 minutes).

Last edited:
Reactions: webby3650