Moving Big Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gggvan

Dec 6, 2012
I'm looking for an easy way to move heavy logs up to the processing area. My free logs get dropped off at the street landing. From there it's about 75 yards to where I split/stack. I have a jd lawn tractor and a 15cuft cart. Sometimes I can barely lift the bucked rounds into the cart. I'd like to cut the logs into 3' sections and move up for selective processing. Is there any type of rolling device you can put under one end and pull with the tractor?

If you Google "log dolly" or "log trolley", you might find something you like. There are some different options. I have never used any of them, so I can't comment on how well one works versus another. I just know they exist.

I drag very large logs around with gas powered capstan winch and a couple of snatch blocks for redirecting the pull rope around trees. It works better with two people otherwise its lot of walking back and fourth. Add in a skidding cone and they drag even easier.

I recently saw a cheap plastic sled made for exactly that

Second on the log arch. I bought one a few years ago off of eBay from a guy 2 hrs away and hauled it home to use to get big ash trunks out of the woods, but never used it. My trail back into the woods was too twisty to maneuver behind my undersized 18 HP Yamaha lawn tractor so I sold it after a year for same price I bought it, around $750. It was a well built piece of equipment, don't remember the brand but it had regular 15" car tires on it and the winch would probably handle 1000# or more. Would be perfect for a straight 75 yard shot from the curb up to the splitting yard.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
BTW, a log arch is good option if you can drive a ATV in the woods. On my lot, its too steep and rocky to get anything to drive in the woods.

Can you roll the short lengths on to an appliance dolly that is flat on the ground. Strap the logo to it then figure out how to hitch it to the JD? I moved 11” foot slabs this way and 3-4’ logs from across the street by hand.

I have my daughter help me.
20190922_105926.jpg
20190922_105926.jpg

I'm looking for an easy way to move heavy logs up to the processing area. My free logs get dropped off at the street landing. From there it's about 75 yards to where I split/stack. I have a jd lawn tractor and a 15cuft cart. Sometimes I can barely lift the bucked rounds into the cart. I'd like to cut the logs into 3' sections and move up for selective processing. Is there any type of rolling device you can put under one end and pull with the tractor?
I use an appliance dolly rate at 800 lbs to move the big rounds from my driveway where logs are dropped and chain sawed to the backyard where I process. Has worked well for my needs, my property is too small to need a riding mower and/or ATV with a trailer.

Reactions: fullofbaloney
I really recommend this method. The first piece was a locust that fell across the driveway. Here is a 16 foot or so piece of ash that is probably 20 inches across at the big end. The machine is rated to 6k lift capacity but will do WAY more with the solid filled tires I have on it.

;lol

20190625_125617.jpg

Reactions: John Galt
This could work:

1200 lb weight capacity, max. 20" log diameter.

This could work:

1200 lb weight capacity, max. 20" log diameter.
That's probably more realistic.

Without the right equipment, moving will be tough. I wold buck and split where it is.

zOo6LSL.jpg