Moving hot air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Alaska Dave

Jan 4, 2019
Alaska
Happy new year everyone! I use a Lopi 1250 in my 1300 square foot ranch house. Seems like it cranks out more than enough heat but what do people use to move heat from point a (stove room) to point b (Unheated bedroom of doom at the other end of the house)? Do those doorway fans do much or am I better off looking elsewhere? Also-are those metal stove top fans effective? The room that the stove is in is somewhat isolated and the rest of the house is quite open, so I end up with a very hot living room and cold everything else...

If you have ceiling fans running in reverse helps. Top of the stove not so much.You want to push the cold air toward the stove room as it is denser and easier to move thus replaced by the warmer air.

I fought with this for a while a few years ago I have a very broken up house about 1500 sqft. I went and bought a small 8" fan and I put it at the back of the house at the door way of my master bedroom and point it towards the hallway that leads to my living room which is where my stove is. If my stove room is 76 it will be 72 in the back of the house. This works very good for me.

I fought with this for a while a few years ago I have a very broken up house about 1500 sqft. I went and bought a small 8" fan and I put it at the back of the house at the door way of my master bedroom and point it towards the hallway that leads to my living room which is where my stove is. If my stove room is 76 it will be 72 in the back of the house. This works very good for me.
Sounds like I’ve been doing it all wrong! I’ve had fans blowing hot air from the stove room pointing to the cold rooms...
I’ll give this a try, thank you!

Sounds like I’ve been doing it all wrong! I’ve had fans blowing hot air from the stove room pointing to the cold rooms...
I’ll give this a try, thank you!

I did the same thing for a while with no luck. Also the fans if they have adjustable speeds put the fan or fans on low or medium. I mostly use low. This should have better results then blowing hot air.

We’ve had good success with doorway fans, but we use them at the bottom of doorways to move cold air out of rooms, which then allows hot air to move in.

We were just recently visiting my mother who heats a ranch house with wood. The back bedrooms were chilly. I found a very small fan that my father used to use to cool himself in the summer and moved it to the hallway outside the two coldest bedrooms. It made a noticeable difference.

Even in our home in Texas where we don’t (yet) heat with wood, we regularly use small fans. We have a couple of unheated rooms as well as a stairwell where heat becomes trapped, and the fans help even things out.

The biggest issue with having fans on the floor is the tripping hazard. Ours aren’t fastened, and they do get knocked over, but we’re in the habit of having them around. It may not be desirable if there’s someone in the home who would likely fall if there’s something on the floor.

I’d say find a small fan you may have around and experiment. A good way to help see how air flows is to hold up a strip of bath tissue and see its subtle movement. If we have a fan blowing cold air out of the room, the tissue blows in at the top of the door showing that warm air is coming in.

Thanks for the replies :)
I put a small fan at the bottom of the colder rooms doorway to move cold air out and another at the top of the hot room moving hot air away from the stove. It’s 1 degree outside and quite comfortable in the unheated room at the end of the house away from the stove. Might be time to consider some hard wired through the wall type fans here and there...
Last question- do those Vornado air movers do much more than regular fans? Reading the advertising for those makes me think one of those vs a bunch of little fans might be a good way to go too...
Thanks again!