Moving our Wood Furnace Exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Okla

Mar 28, 2021
The Berkshires
First things first, I'd like to say "hello" to the forum board. :)

As a transplanted southern builder, I haven't installed a wood stove to this point. As we're in the process of building a lean-to roof off of our 2-story home, however, we need to move the chimney stack from where it is to an adjacent outside basement wall.

The previous owners used an interior and an exterior cover plate to cover the point where the 6" smoke pipe enters our concrete basement wall and, again, where the galvanized chimney tee, at the base of the chimney presently sits. Please see the photo for an outside view of the base of the chimney.

DHR Wood Stove Exhaust Tee .jpg
As you can see, the round decorative plate that was mounted against the wall hides the actual hole that was drilled through the 12" reinforced concrete basement wall behind the brick veneer.

Before we begin taking all of this apart, I'd like to be prepared to core-drill the new hole, which will be located just around the corner, which is to the left of this chimney...so the question is: If I measure the O.D. of the tee port that is passing through the decorative circular plate, as seen in this photo, will I know which size core bit to use on the basement wall?

I read through another thread here where the OP seemed to be asking the same thing, but I wasn't able to get a clear answer to this question.

Thank you very much for your time and your consideration ~ Okla

First things first, I'd like to say "hello" to the forum board. :)

As a transplanted southern builder, I haven't installed a wood stove to this point. As we're in the process of building a lean-to roof off of our 2-story home, however, we need to move the chimney stack from where it is to an adjacent outside basement wall.

The previous owners used an interior and an exterior cover plate to cover the point where the 6" smoke pipe enters our concrete basement wall and, again, where the galvanized chimney tee, at the base of the chimney presently sits. Please see the photo for an outside view of the base of the chimney.

View attachment 277264 As you can see, the round decorative plate that was mounted against the wall hides the actual hole that was drilled through the 12" reinforced concrete basement wall behind the brick veneer.

Before we begin taking all of this apart, I'd like to be prepared to core-drill the new hole, which will be located just around the corner, which is to the left of this chimney...so the question is: If I measure the O.D. of the tee port that is passing through the decorative circular plate, as seen in this photo, will I know which size core bit to use on the basement wall?

I read through another thread here where the OP seemed to be asking the same thing, but I wasn't able to get a clear answer to this question.

Thank you very much for your time and your consideration ~ Okla
I would go about an inch bigger thank the od of the pipe then pack that gap with insulation. I would also consider swapping out that galvanized tee for a stainless one while you have it apart.

Reactions: Tar12
Another wood stove rookie question...but when you write, "I would go an inch bigger than the OD of the pipe...," are you referring to the OD of the tee or the OD of the 6" black smoke pipe (on the other side of the basement wall)?

Again, thank you for your time ~ Okla

Another wood stove rookie question...but when you write, "I would go an inch bigger than the OD of the pipe...," are you referring to the OD of the tee or the OD of the 6" black smoke pipe (on the other side of the basement wall)?

Again, thank you for your time ~ Okla
Od of the tee and there should be a section of chimney pipe going through the wall. The black pipe should connect to that inside the building.

Do you have to go through the wall? An interior chimney would perform better and then you wouldn't have to core drill an 11" hole.

Do you have to go through the wall? An interior chimney would perform better and then you wouldn't have to core drill an 11" hole.

SpaceBus..... The idea here is to avoid roofing. As I wrote earlier, this will be my first wood stove move/install, so, if you know of a better way than passing through the concrete wall to place the chimney away from the roof, I'd love to learn how that can be accomplished.

Thank you for the intriguing idea ~ Okla

SpaceBus..... The idea here is to avoid roofing. As I wrote earlier, this will be my first wood stove move/install, so, if you know of a better way than passing through the concrete wall to place the chimney away from the roof, I'd love to learn how that can be accomplished.

Thank you for the intriguing idea ~ Okla

You are facing a roof penetration or a wall penetration, the roof will be easier in your situation since you have to make a 12" deep hole through masonry. I understand not wanting to make a hole in the roof, but going through the masonry won't be easy.